International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

According to the APA standard of perfection, yellow legs are a disqualification. White feathers where there should be no white is a defect and you only lose points for them in show. White feathers are not a DQ. Several of my breeders have some white in them somewhere, whether its in their wings or underfluff. And this too shall pass.
My understanding of the white feather is "no more than one white feather and no more than 1 inch long " in the entire bird or it is a DQ White under fluff is a fault TOM

Just curious why it is the splash is showing it. None of the adults Blue Coppers or my Black Coppers have had it. No other chicks have shown yellow. That means rooster and hen have to be carrying the gene to express. Why is it only expressing in the splash? Weird!

Just the way the genetic lottery works. Throwbacks (atavistic return of genes) can turn up many generations down the line when the genes pair up. It just so happened that both your pullet's mother and father were carriers. Only a percentage of the offspring will display the phenotype for yellow legs if both parents were only carriers and did not have yellow legs themselves.

Just the way the genetic lottery works. Throwbacks (atavistic return of genes) can turn up many generations down the line when the genes pair up. It just so happened that both your pullet's mother and father were carriers. Only a percentage of the offspring will display the phenotype for yellow legs if both parents were only carriers and did not have yellow legs themselves.
Now it is figuring out which hen out of the three is carrying the gene. Actually out of the two because I lost one of the hens. Maybe the one I lost was the one carrying the gene. Definitely my best rooster is carrying the gene. Now what to do? :hmm :( :rolleyes: scratching my head on how to move forward. Some or all may be carrying the gene! I know I have no other rooster that could have got to them. I had true Ameraucanas at the time but in totally seperate pens. They don't have yellow either. I have to work with what I have.

My understanding of the white feather is "no more than one white feather and no more than 1 inch long " in the entire bird or it is a DQ White under fluff is a fault TOM

I'm trying to find it in the SOP, but haven't read that anywhere yet. If you find the page, let me know.

I did find it on the Marans of America Club website. Woe is me.. :(

Screenshot_20180512-132259_Chrome.jpg

You're not the only one who's got some hard culling to do @marchick. We'll get through it together.

I'm trying to find it in the SOP, but haven't read that anywhere yet. If you find the page, let me know.

I did find it on the Marans of America Club website. Woe is me.. :(

View attachment 1385174

You're not the only one who's got some hard culling to do @marchick. We'll get through it together.
Thank you both! I will need lots of help deciding! You guys will probably get so tired of me posting. You both can just slap me at anytime. Lol :smack

Now it is figuring out which hen out of the three is carrying the gene. Actually out of the two because I lost one of the hens. Maybe the one I lost was the one carrying the gene. Definitely my best rooster is carrying the gene. Now what to do? :hmm :( :rolleyes: scratching my head on how to move forward. Some or all may be carrying the gene! I know I have no other rooster that could have got to them. I had true Ameraucanas at the time but in totally seperate pens. They don't have yellow either. I have to work with what I have.

Test mating is hard and requires a lot of time. You would have to single mate the cock to each of the hens first and grow out those chicks, I think chooks man recommends a minimum of 20 to test adequately, best I can remember. Grow out the chicks to see if any have yellow legs.

Did you wing band the chicks you have as to which hen produced them?

If you dont want the hassle of test mating, you could just pick a different rooster out of the chicks you produced and hope you get lucky and pick a non-carrier. When/if the yellow surfaces again, just keep culling. That's pretty much what Im doing with vulture hocks, Ive just been hard culling as it occurs and I'm seeing it less and less. This year I have yet to even produce one chick with vulture hocks so far.

Back
Top Bottom