Mar 16, 2023
Hi I'm new I just got my first chickens which are a cross mix of a Maran and a cream leg bar. I have 3, called flappy ham( her thing looks like flappy ham) popcorn , and Pango. I built the cage myself on a low budget, got most of it for free, the wood the chicken wire, hay.
I've also got eggs incubating, currently on day 21 and no sign but its been hard to control the temp with a cheap incubator so I think it will take longer than planned, will have to see.
I got the incubator for free online, it holds 48 eggs, its unbranded from china so I'm always checking to see if its set on fire lol I want to trade or sell it and get a smaller one cuz 48 is too many!!
My plan is to build a separate smaller pen for the chicks if they work so they grow up seeing the other hens and will hopefully integrate easier. But still no sign of any egg hatching :(
When I was a kid I grew up with so many chickens we had the space for like 40 in the country, but since growing up and doing my own thing its my first time getting my own garden space so it feels special to me doing this, my daughter can grow up with them too.
I'm based in Norfolk, Norwich but there doesn't actually seem to be much of a community here it all seems to be up north.
oh well

Attachments

• 335943367_944733533638452_8378974813476950260_n.jpg
    335943367_944733533638452_8378974813476950260_n.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Welcome to BYC from Yorkshire @Pango_Flappyham_Popcorn :frow

Do you have a separate thermometer in your incubator to double check temps? I’ve got a cheap Chinese incubator too that runs way hotter than the incubator says and I cooked my first batch of eggs I did in it.
I feel like I should get one lol are they cheap to buy? how do they work cuz I can't see in the incubator when its on and covered in the polystyrene. They are defiantly growing I've been candling them, then once it hit 18 days I left them be but I think they could just be a few days behind with the unreliable temps.

Hi I'm new I just got my first chickens which are a cross mix of a Maran and a cream leg bar. I have 3, called flappy ham( her thing looks like flappy ham) popcorn , and Pango. I built the cage myself on a low budget, got most of it for free, the wood the chicken wire, hay.
I've also got eggs incubating, currently on day 21 and no sign but its been hard to control the temp with a cheap incubator so I think it will take longer than planned, will have to see.
I got the incubator for free online, it holds 48 eggs, its unbranded from china so I'm always checking to see if its set on fire lol I want to trade or sell it and get a smaller one cuz 48 is too many!!
My plan is to build a separate smaller pen for the chicks if they work so they grow up seeing the other hens and will hopefully integrate easier. But still no sign of any egg hatching :(
When I was a kid I grew up with so many chickens we had the space for like 40 in the country, but since growing up and doing my own thing its my first time getting my own garden space so it feels special to me doing this, my daughter can grow up with them too.
I'm based in Norfolk, Norwich but there doesn't actually seem to be much of a community here it all seems to be up north.
oh well
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom