Is E. coli opportunistic in chickens?

For some of them, enrofloxacin seems to be a little more effective. If you ever want to try that, you can get the oral medication here:
https://jedds.com/products/enroflox...qYn5WezRJKgvWb5Bh32asGoHj0pGDZ_sLLmihrxmrLyKm
At least for now, we can still get that one. It may or may not be better, it's a stronger antibiotic, just depends on the bacteria present. For salpingitis, there is not a lot of good resource information on underlying causes, and multiple types of bacteria are suspect.
Thank you, I am bookmarking it. I may order some.

For some of them, enrofloxacin seems to be a little more effective. If you ever want to try that, you can get the oral medication here:
https://jedds.com/products/enroflox...qYn5WezRJKgvWb5Bh32asGoHj0pGDZ_sLLmihrxmrLyKm
At least for now, we can still get that one. It may or may not be better, it's a stronger antibiotic, just depends on the bacteria present. For salpingitis, there is not a lot of good resource information on underlying causes, and multiple types of bacteria are suspect.
Do you recommend pills or liquid, and what is dosage?

Not sure you can get the pills anymore unless your vet will prescribe. I used to get it as a fish antibiotic, but those have been pulled. This one is from pigeon supply and is liquid. Other than shelf life, I don't think it makes a difference. I use the liquid and give with an oral syringe, it's not a problem.
I will list the various dosings I have found, and I'm currently treating one of my hens with it, a standard sized EE about 5.5 - 6 lbs and I'm giving her 0.5 ml of the liquid once a day, and she's responding well so far.
Dosings I have found and have in my book are:
"10 mg/kg twice a day for 5 days"
"15 mg/kg once a day for 5 days"
"20 mg/kg once a day for 5 days"
"For a 6 lb 14 oz chicken with a 100 mg/ml solution doses are
0.132 ml twice a day or
0.468 ml once a day or
0.625 ml once a day"
I have collected dosing over the years, and can't refer you to my original sources.
Plumbs veterinary Drug Handbook gives the 15 mg/kg once a day orally dose.
It does come as an injectable also, prescription only from a vet. Injecting it takes care and you have to move the site each time as it can cause tissue necrosis at the injection site. I prefer the oral for that reason.

Not sure you can get the pills anymore unless your vet will prescribe. I used to get it as a fish antibiotic, but those have been pulled. This one is from pigeon supply and is liquid. Other than shelf life, I don't think it makes a difference. I use the liquid and give with an oral syringe, it's not a problem.
I will list the various dosings I have found, and I'm currently treating one of my hens with it, a standard sized EE about 5.5 - 6 lbs and I'm giving her 0.5 ml of the liquid once a day, and she's responding well so far.
0.132 ml twice a day or
0.468 ml once a day or
0.625 ml once a day"
I have collected dosing over the years, and can't refer you to my original sources.
It does come as an injectable also, prescription only from a vet. Injecting it takes care and you have to move the site each time as it can cause tissue necrosis at the injection site. I prefer the oral for that reason.
Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

0.132 ml twice a day or
0.468 ml once a day or
0.625 ml once a day"
Is your hen taking it for a reproductive infection?

yes i’ve face ecoli in my birds last year in winters the symptoms started with no appetite and throw up then liquid poop that is slimy and green

i use baytril 10% 2x a day with lactobacillus and yeast extract it cure in 10 days

yes i’ve face ecoli in my birds last year in winters the symptoms started with no appetite and throw up then liquid poop that is slimy and green

i use baytril 10% 2x a day with lactobacillus and yeast extract it cure in 10 days
Thank you, I appreciate it.

Yes, I am treating what appears to be early salpingitis in a hen that has had several prolapses. I am not optimistic that it will be cured, I've had too many with it and none have been, but hoping to maybe give her time. She has perked up a lot after 2 days, so we will see. I wasn't sure exactly which bird it was until 2 days ago, was just finding the evidence on the poop boards in the morning.

Yes, I am treating what appears to be early salpingitis in a hen that has had several prolapses. I am not optimistic that it will be cured, I've had too many with it and none have been, but hoping to maybe give her time. She has perked up a lot after 2 days, so we will see. I wasn't sure exactly which bird it was until 2 days ago, was just finding the evidence on the poop boards in the morning.
I’m really sorry about her. I hope she continues to improve :hugs

Dare I say that my dear Jafar is doing well? As well as can be I suppose. I’m not sure why I’m updating. For my own comfort I suppose.

She is no longer pretending to lay as of about 2 weeks ago. Her comb has shrunk and I wasn’t imagining it, so has her abdomen - it is no longer bulging. She is still a bit slow but seems happy and is at a healthy weight. She eats and is back to trying to keep Ravioli in line. They’re in a tie for lowest in the pecking order.

So many ups and downs. Still unsure if she’ll molt as only one bird in our flock as just barely started this week. Not sure if that’s why her comb shrunk maybe? I don’t see any of her feathers laying around or under the roost though.

Perhaps it’s the cooler weather doing her good. Just going to enjoy these good days with her.
IMG_5593.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom