Is it inhumane to breed Cornish X

Hello Cornish X seem to be so prone to health problems and growing problems. Is it inhumane to even breed them?
Are you talking about trying to breed them yourself from chicks you get or the commercial operations breeding them? The Cornish X were developed in the 1950's as a four way cross to produce a lot of meat very efficiently. A lot of study of them is not just genetic so they grow fast but how to manage and feed them. The goal is to keep them alive and healthy until butcher age, typically 6 to 8 weeks of age. The four grandparent flocks are each specialized with their own genetics so if they are crossed in a certain way they produce the parents of the Cornish X. I'll repeat myself, a lot of study has gone into how to feed the four grandparent flocks and the resulting parent flocks so they can breed and lay the eggs that create the Cornish X. I do not consider that inhumane. They have very strict standards how to feed and manage them to get those eggs. They have the genetics for rapid growth so they have to be carefully managed.

I know of no studies about how to manage the Cornish X final product to keep the alive and healthy older than 8 weeks. They are designed to be eaten by 8 weeks of age, not kept alive and healthy enough to breed and lay hatching eggs. Some people manage to do that but most that try are unsuccessful. I would not call what they are trying to do inhumane, their goal is not to cause pain and suffering. A lot will die of heart attacks or their body will just break down. But some will be successful, at least for a time period.

Last edited:
Are you talking about trying to breed them yourself from chicks you get or the commercial operations breeding them? The Cornish X were developed in the 1950's as a four way cross to produce a lot of meat very efficiently. A lot of study of them is not just genetic so they grow fast but how to manage and feed them. The goal is to keep them alive and healthy until butcher age, typically 6 to 8 weeks of age. The four grandparent flocks are each specialized with their own genetics so if they are crossed in a certain way they produce the parents of the Cornish X. I'll repeat myself, a lot of study has gone into how to feed the four grandparent flocks and the resulting parent flocks so they can breed and lay the eggs that create the Cornish X. I do not consider that inhumane. They have very strict standards how to feed and manage them to get those eggs. They have the genetics for rapid growth so they have to be carefully managed.

I know of no studies about how to manage the Cornish X final product to keep the alive and healthy older than 8 weeks. They are designed to be eaten by 8 weeks of age, not kept alive and healthy enough to breed and lay hatching eggs. Some people manage to do that but most that try are unsuccessful. I would not call what they are trying to do inhumane, their goal is not to cause pain and suffering. A lot will die of heart attacks or their body will just break down. But some will be successful, at last for a time period.
Hello Thank you, that makes sense. Very difficult to feed correctly. For an example, if Cornish X are the king of meat birds, what would be the king of meat birds in dual purpose chickens? Bresse chickens?

There isn't a single breed that comes in second as a meat breed. The Red Rangers - or similar hybrids - probably come the closest. They are more of a type than a breed. Or maybe a class.

Indian River Delawares were taking the lead in that lane before cornish cross were developed. That was long enough ago that they don't have the same characteristis.

Bresse aren't because the breed is only one element that makes the famous Bresse chicken that is served in French restaurants and has the authentic* label and reputation. Those have very specific growing requirements including only the water from a small area in France.

* not sure "authentic" is the right word

Back
Top Bottom