Is it possible to use turkeys to naturally hatch large batches of chicks?

Gigachad poultry

Rest in peace Eda ~ 2018-2024
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
Vicenza IT
So I've been wondering... Would it be possible for me to make a separate area to keep turkey hens so that when they go broody I can use them to hatch out a larger clutch of chicks?

Recently I've been wanting to do more natural hatching instead of using an incubator, especially with trying to get a better line of birds that are more likely to naturally hatch when they're older. I've also been wondering if this is possible because although I have silkies due to the fact that they're so small they can only hatch a couple chicks. But I'm also worried a turkey would accidentally crush normal chicks with ease compared to turkey chicks...

If this is possible I'm sure there are some breeds better than other or more likely to go broody and I'm not sure which would be the best. Obviously if this idea is possible I'd have to do a kit more research on turkey care and housing a d whichever breed I get.

Getting some Brahmas from a breeder (not hatchery) would most likely end up working better. They are obviously smaller than a turkey but a 10 pound fluffy butt can fit a lot of eggs underneath. Less chance of breaking eggs/crushing babies and also lowers the risk of the babies being rejected drastically. And plus a chicken is just going to be better at raising a chicken than anything else

Getting some Brahmas from a breeder (not hatchery) would most likely end up working better. They are obviously smaller than a turkey but a 10 pound fluffy butt can fit a lot of eggs underneath. Less chance of breaking eggs/crushing babies and also lowers the risk of the babies being rejected drastically. And plus a chicken is just going to be better at raising a chicken than anything else
Hmmm... Interesting! Is there any variety of brahma that would be better?

Large fowl Cochin are also great, I've heard. The lady I got eggs from says her cochin rooster is over 20lb so his children are likely to be big too.
Brahmas and Jersey Giants are also big birds that could hatch many babies.

I'd be suprised if a turkey hen would work.
I have muscovy ducks that are hatching fools. Some were hatching 20+ ducklings at a time and a few clutches a year.
I tried to use them to hatch leghorn eggs and it was a fail because they without fail broke the eggs.
Gotta figure a turkey hen may do the same. They're pretty heavy.
Besides have you had luck with turkey hens being good mothers? I have not.

Myturkey hen is sitting on several chicken eggs. I mean, In my opinion, turkeys, when poults, and not as hardy as a chicken chick. So I feel (In my opinion) chicken chicks might be better for a turkey then a turkeys. She hasn't hatched them yet tho so idk how good of moms they are

Back
Top Bottom