Is it safe to use lime in the chicken coop?

Hello all, I enjoy reading all the advice on here , so thanks. I have been investigating lime use too. As far as D.E goes...having silica in it....is that bad for your (and chickens) respiratory system? Is it the same 'silica' that is now being highlighted in stone bench manufacturing that causes Silicosis??
After nhalation of D.E., mild irritation may occur in the respiratory system, mucus membranes, and lungs but it will be rapidly eliminated from lung tissue. Asthmatics should avoid using it in confined areas. However, with daily exposure, minor amounts can accumulate in lung tissue and lymph nodes, causing minor to moderate scarring and/or silicosis in mammalian respiratory systems. Since the Avian respiratory system is much more complex than ours, taking up most of a bird's body, excess dust entering the respiratory system can form caseous (damaged or necrotic tissue that has cheesy consistency) tracheal plugs in the bronchi junction (where the lungs connect to the trachea), obstructing breathing.

Quote:

That is perfect and EXACTLY what I am looking for! I can't find the food grade DE anywhere around here. I placed and order that is going to be delivered today for a 10# bag of DE, but it was so expensive (the shipping was the killer), I hate to use it on the floor of my coop! If the Stall Dry has the De in it, that will be perfect. Thank you!
You can get Ag lime many places. Stone and gravel Pits have it. Farm co-op Companies have big piles of it. That's what those piles are that co-aliance dump n field before the farmer's spreads it. And so do Grain elevators.

Hello all, I enjoy reading all the advice on here , so thanks. I have been investigating lime use too. As far as D.E goes...having silica in it....is that bad for your (and chickens) respiratory system? Is it the same 'silica' that is now being highlighted in stone bench manufacturing that causes Silicosis??
Food Grade DE has less than 2% silica in it. Most folks cutting DE don't realize the food-grade version isn't the same as the regular, and that the food-grade version is in many of our chicken feed. Kalmbacks Henhouse Reserve for example.

Someone locally told me that they use lime in their coops and run to keep the smell down. Is that safe to do?
hu.gif
I know quite a few people on here use the food grade DE and I know that's safe. I was just curious about the lime!
I’m wondering the same thing, I tried the link but it didn’t work.

I'm hatching out chicks with my broody hens this year for the first time. I just got one girl set up and put barn lime in the bottom of the box. Now I'm wondering if it's going to mess with the moisture/humidity level the eggs need or will momma adjust everything and it be OK? I don't want to mess things up.

I use Stall Dry...it works well, does have DE in it...I have to order my 50# bags of DE online, its the shipping costs that are so high with DE...

I combine mine under the roosts with the wood shavings...

Hydrated or garden lime is for the chickens run.. and needs tilled in, watered and left from a few days if garden lime to a week or two for hydrated......will burn the chickens feet...

My Stall Dry is a powder like or grainy substances...
Hydrated lime burns. you mean AG lime?

AG lime burns too. Even when I wear rubber gloves it bothers my hands when applying. Have to wash good after to get it to stop. It definitely has a drying effect. I can see why it works on lice and mites.

Back
Top Bottom