Is my chicken choking now? Emergency! help please.

And the crop has nothing to do with her airway. Two completely separate tubes.
I know that you mean that massaging the crop won't help clear her airway, but wanted to say the crop can have something to do with aspiration and that's why I asked about it. If the crop isn't emptying then it can fill with fluid and overflow into the airway.

If she's breathing, she isn't choking. And the crop has nothing to do with her airway. Two completely separate tubes.

What you're hearing is fluid in the top of the trachea. It's probably temporary. Her color is good, so her lungs and heart are probably fine. She may have drunk a lot of water. Sometimes it overflows from the esophagus and a little gets sucked into the trachea. This is not dangerous. It almost always clears up on its own.
View attachment 3870135
I wholeheartedly agree that bird needs to be for now, don’t do the cpr… sometimes birds need to do bird things to get better. Having her in quiet space with low light and food / water / oyster shells available and clean bedsing underneath helps to cal her down.

If she's breathing, she isn't choking. And the crop has nothing to do with her airway. Two completely separate tubes.

What you're hearing is fluid in the top of the trachea. It's probably temporary. Her color is good, so her lungs and heart are probably fine. She may have drunk a lot of water. Sometimes it overflows from the esophagus and a little gets sucked into the trachea. This is not dangerous. It almost always clears up on its own.
View attachment 3870135
Thank you for your comment.

I was suspecting water belly because of her gurgling sound, purple combs and wattles and her lower belly feeling quite full.
My husband is worried if her egg is bound.

I hope it's what you said and clear on its own by tomorrow. She's our favorite chicken. Especially my husband just adores her.
Now her breathing is a lot quieter but I can still hear some water sound.
She hasn't eaten and she sometimes smacks her beaks.

Last edited:
Egg binding causes a chicken to behave in an unusual manner. They will usually be seen standing very still, almost frozen in place. They will be very quiet, no talking at all. Sometimes, they will sit in a nest for hours without producing anything. Severe egg binding causes a full crop and also a very messy, watery and smelly discharge from the vent. There is no doubt or guessing involved in egg binding.

Egg yolk peritonitis is another serious but chronic disorder causing swelling in the abdomen just behind the legs and under the vent. Usually the poop has yellow mucous in it, and it is a puddle not a well formed turd.

Water belly (ascites) is from liver failure and this also is pretty well defined as a large swelling between and in front of the legs. It usually pushes the legs apart in a wide stance. The chicken will walk like a duck or penguin as a result. I had a hen with ascites and her belly actually dragged on the ground as she walked. Again, there is no doubt or guessing with water belly. The symptoms are very distinctive. Poop may also be yellow, maybe greenish from bile.

None of these cause the sound this hen is making. A crop full of liquid with some of the liquid overflowing into the throat is usually the cause of such a sound. Whether or not the full crop is from a crop disorder (yeast) or just from drinking a lot of water at once remains to be determined. You can identify a crop disorder easily by checking it first thing in the morning before the chicken eats or drinks. If the crop is full instead of emptying completely over night, then you have a crop disorder that needs to be treated. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Egg binding causes a chicken to behave in an unusual manner. They will usually be seen standing very still, almost frozen in place. They will be very quiet, no talking at all. Sometimes, they will sit in a nest for hours without producing anything. Severe egg binding causes a full crop and also a very messy, watery and smelly discharge from the vent. There is no doubt or guessing involved in egg binding.

Egg yolk peritonitis is another serious but chronic disorder causing swelling in the abdomen just behind the legs and under the vent. Usually the poop has yellow mucous in it, and it is a puddle not a well formed turd.

Water belly (ascites) is from liver failure and this also is pretty well defined as a large swelling between and in front of the legs. It usually pushes the legs apart in a wide stance. The chicken will walk like a duck or penguin as a result. I had a hen with ascites and her belly actually dragged on the ground as she walked. Again, there is no doubt or guessing with water belly. The symptoms are very distinctive. Poop may also be yellow, maybe greenish from bile.

None of these cause the sound this hen is making. A crop full of liquid with some of the liquid overflowing into the throat is usually the cause of such a sound. Whether or not the full crop is from a crop disorder (yeast) or just from drinking a lot of water at once remains to be determined. You can identify a crop disorder easily by checking it first thing in the morning before the chicken eats or drinks. If the crop is full instead of emptying completely over night, then you have a crop disorder that needs to be treated. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for all the explanation.
She's doing better this morning, walking around a bit and going up the perch. Her breathing seems normal to me, too.
But she hasn't eaten the moistened feed yet (7 am now) and her crop still feels empty since yesterday afternoon.
She happily ate a tiny bit of oats I gave her this morning, though.
Should I feed her whatever she wants to eat, like oats or scrambled eggs?

Try giving her one cup of water with one teaspoon sugar stirred in. This will elevate her glucose and she will feel more energetic. That may help her appetite. And yes, give her anything you know she will likely eat. It will get her appetite rolling.

Try giving her one cup of water with one teaspoon sugar stirred in. This will elevate her glucose and she will feel more energetic. That may help her appetite. And yes, give her anything you know she will likely eat. It will get her appetite rolling.
This evening she's sneezing and coughing in a weird way like in this video.
Is it gape worm or respiratory infection?
She hasn't been eating much.

Back
Top Bottom