Is my girl going to be ok?

sasuketeme90210

Hatching
Apr 14, 2024
My 2 year old ISA Brown fell from her roost (6ft high) and hurt herself. I can’t tell how bad it is but there is no visible sign of injury. She can stand on her own but she favors one side and slowly sinks back down. I checked her feet and they curl around my hand so it seems she can move her foot but it hurts to do so.

Looking at her feet side by side they look the same.

I can’t tell if there is a broken bone or a strain. She is eating and drinking like normal

I guess my question is if it’s really bad shouldn’t I be seeing redness or swelling by now? This happened 5 hours ago. I feel like some rest and TLC is needed because the vet can’t see her for a few weeks

To start off, you should lower you roost... Hens just need 18 inches and thats all, however a little bit higher is OK.

How did she fall? Feet first? Head first? Did she flap her wings at all?

How is she standing now? She might be in some pain but im pretty sure if she is moving her feet and standing she is fine.
Is she putting weight on it?

Sometimes when chickens get off there roost they fall to hard and hurt themself, but that lasts for a night.
If you want you can epson soak her feet and thighs. To realx her pain.

Your supposed to see some swelling but that could take time. Longer then 5 hours I think. Is she walking on it?

If she got bullied off, then you should move her.

The fall from the roost may be an indication of a health issue. I would try to keep her quiet and monitor closely.

I’ve recently learned that baby aspirin, 81mg twice a day is acceptable for 2 to 3 days.

Give her a check, as far as you can, first for any internal injury.

Internal Injuries + Aspirin = BAD

Hopefully it’s just bruising and it will be okay,

Bonne Chance

Hugz

To start off, you should lower you roost... Hens just need 18 inches and thats all, however a little bit higher is OK.

How is she standing now? She might be in some pain but im pretty sure if she is moving her feet and standing she is fine.

Sometimes when chickens get off there roost they fall to hard and hurt themself, but that lasts for a night.

Your supposed to see some swelling but that could take time. Longer then 5 hours I think. Is she walking on it?

I’ll definitely lower the roost. She stands up to poop but then sits right back down. She’s sitting right now but that could be because I have her in a dog crate to prevent her from moving too much but I

I’ll lower my roost for sure. She landed feet first and did flap her wings. She got up and limped before I put her in a dog crate and isolated her.

She stands up on her own but can only do so for maybe 20 seconds before she sinks back down. I saw her put weight on her hurt foot (she’s not holding it up) but she doesn’t remain standing for long.

I’ll definitely lower the roost. She stands up to poop but then sits right back down. She’s sitting right now but that could be because I have her in a dog crate to prevent her from moving too much but I

I’ll lower my roost for sure. She landed feet first and did flap her wings. She got up and limped before I put her in a dog crate and isolated her.

She stands up on her own but can only do so for maybe 20 seconds before she sinks back down. I saw her put weight on her hurt foot (she’s not holding it up) but she doesn’t remain standing for long.
She could be in pain, no bumblefoot right? Give her thighs I epson soak for 15. No swelling still right?

She could be in pain, no bumblefoot right? Give her thighs I epson soak for 15. No swelling still right?
She seems to get better as the hours go by. She just stood up on her own (without flapping her wings to help) and stood on both feet for about 1 minute before sitting back down. She also turned herself around a few times. I can tell she’s still in pain because she’s still favoring one side (no bumblefoot - not holding her foot up) there is slight swelling but no discoloration.

I think this means she will probably recover she just needs to stay in her cage resting till she can stand and stay standing

Back
Top Bottom