Is my hen sick?

mrslita2019

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2024
Central Texas
Hey Y'all!
About 4 weeks ago we lost a laying hen. Looking back she seemed to have been lethargic and not eating as well. I looked in her mouth and she had what we think was canker. (I'm not sure). We watched all the girls (9) closely. In the meantime we built a new chicken run in the barn. This week everyone looked well and we moved them to the new digs. They have been up to get them used to the new coop but normally I let them out for a bit early in the AM or when it starts to cool in the evening. I have one hen who just seems a little off. Not being as aggressive with treats but still eating and drinking. I checked her mouth, A- ok. She has lots of down feathers and a dirty tooshie. I cleaned her toosh. I don't know if I'm being sensitive or if there is something wrong. I don't want to lose another hen. I don't know know her breed. She's a black chicken with a fluffy toosh. I don't know her age but she is adult of laying age. And I know y'all are gonna ask if she's laying but how the heck do you tell who's doing what with 9 hens? AND in case my profile doesn't say it we are in TX where it is hot as heck right now! We are mitigating the heat. I'm not sure if she is even sick...maybe just tired of being cooped for this week. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Is she eating and drinking? Have you felt her breast bone to see if it's sharp? That will let you know if she's thin or not. Is there any respiratory issues? Is her crop normal? Give her a good overall check to see if there's anymore symptoms. You may want to clean up or trim her bottom so flies don't lay eggs in the waste.

Back
Top Bottom