Is my rooster frozen? Need advice.

NajmoNests

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 1, 2010
E. Central, MN
My rooster's legs and toes are stiff. They are not discolored, yet. He has been hobbling all week. When he could not get the oomph to leap up to roost I knew he was in trouble. His wattles show frostbite as does his pea shaped comb.

I caged him with a lamp which he would bask under standing. That has been several days now. I just examined his legs - they are stiff! Joints will not move on toes ankle or heel. He can walk, unsteadily. What should I do?

Walking on frostbitten legs can cause more damage. If his legs are frozen through, he could lose feet or legs. Can you get some picture of his feet and legs, and the bottoms of his feet? What color are his legs normally? The comb and wattles may be okay with time, but frozen feet are definitely a problem.

I would bring him inside to warm up and to soak his legs in warm Epsom salts water every day. I realize that this may not be possible, but that is how it is treated. It can take weeks to months for the damage to be realized. If the toes or feet turn black and shriveled, then he will lose them up to the pipoint where the skin is pink and slightly swollen.

If you cannot bring him inside, then I would apply some betadine iodine to his feet and legs, but only if it is above freezing. Do not massage or rub his legs, comb or wattles. The comb and wattles will probably become rounded off. Sorry this happened, but there was a rooster just 2 weeks ago from MN who had to be put down with a similar case, complicated by a dog bite that injured his crop.

I am just in the middle of this myself. Pics would help us help you.

Are the legs and feet frozen right now?
Or are they immovable because they have been frozen for a while?

We are a month in with my rootie.

I would like to add that I used the last two links that Eggcessive provided, especially the Poultry DVM's advice on warming the affected areas quickly. Warming badly frozen areas slowly is incredibly painful, I speak from personal experience. :)

Last edited:
I am just in the middle of this myself. Pics would help us help you.

Are the legs and feet frozen right now?
Or are they immovable because they have been frozen for a while?

We are a month in with my rootie.

I would like to add that I used the last two links that Eggcessive provided, especially the Poultry DVM's advice on warming the affected areas quickly. Warming badly frozen areas slowly is incredibly painful, I speak from personal experience. :)

Our nervous system and a chickens is incredibly different. They actually have far less nerve endings in their skin than we do so you would still want to slowly warm the area.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

Brought him in took pic, swished frozen feet in epsom warm water. All of a sudden, he curled his toes somewhat and I could manipulate them again. He is now in his own little bathroom on warm towels with food & water. That room is not heated. Crossing fingers, and thank you so much. I forgot about the soak for cold. :D

Our nervous system and a chickens is incredibly different. They actually have far less nerve endings in their skin than we do so you would still want to slowly warm the area.
I followed the recommendations from the Poultry DVM site below:

If tissue is still frozen rapidly rewarm in a warm (body temperature, 104-108 °F (40-42°C)) water bath.

I also utilized the site below; it states that less damage occurs to the tissues with rapid rewarming. Unless someone can provide a study where this is vastly different for chickens I consider this information pertinent.:)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3093920/
In most cases, the hands or feet will already have been thawed when you first see them. This is unfortunate because the supreme opportunity to favorably influence the outcome of frostbite is when the extremity is still frozen.

Until a few years ago it was thought that the frozen part should be re-warmed slowly by allowing it to warm at room temperature or even by rubbing it with snow, beating it, or immersing it in cold water. Such recommendations were passed from generation to generation and often taught by physicians to first-aid classes. Then in the mid-1950’s the brilliant studies of R. B. Lewis conclusively demonstrated the fallacy of this approach. He recommended rapid rewarming instead, and clinical studies have amply confirmed his finding that much less tissue is destroyed by rapid rewarming than by slow.

Back
Top Bottom