Is small poops normal?

Please let us know if the vet thinks she may have reproductive disorder, ascites, or fatty liver. Hopefully, it is nothing too serious. I would tell them what all you have done so far, such as worming, checking her crop for emptying in the morning, etc.
Went to the vet! Turns out she had BUMBLEFOOT on both feet!!!!! Her belly contained no fluid, but the vet said it was distended. I feel so bad that i didn’t check her feet. They soaked her and wrapped her in bandage and I am going to redo the bandage every day. I’m so glad it’s nothing serious.

Glad that you had her checked out and started treatment on the bumblefoot. You can post some pictures of her footpads here if you wish.

Glad that you had her checked out and started treatment on the bumblefoot. You can post some pictures of her footpads here if you wish.
Ok, they’re bandaged right now so i might take some when i change them.

The vet also diagnosed her with coelem distention. Do you know anything about this?
I know it implies reproductive harm or cancer.

3.5 Year old Buff cochin has very small dry ish poops recently for about a few days. She eats and drinks normally as I can see. She is slightly less active than normal which is strange because it is warmer now. Doesn’t lay eggs for now but her abdomen isn’t hard and she doesn’t look hunched.

What can small poops mean besides less food or water?

I know i’ve posted many things about her but she has a change of attitude and I really don’t know why. She just sits around all day but when I approach her she seems pretty happy and healthy.
She has cancer and is starting a molt, but she still eats and drinks. Her poops are tiny, but her crop still empties. She is not laying eggs (implanted) Is this a blockage, or just slower metabolism? This is her latest poop compared to my finger.

IMG_6260.jpeg

Sorry to bother,
@Eggcessive
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock

The small poop may be a symptom of her cancer, but it can also be normal. The oldest hen in my flock, although very healthy in spite of no longer laying, occasionally has bouts of tiny, solid poops like that.

It may also be a symptom of dehydration. I suggest two things. Give her a probiotic for a few days. Found in the pharmacy in the digestive aids. The second is to give her high water content treats for a few days - melon, squash, tomatoes, etc. And if she seems to be avoiding the water, try putting a little sugar in it to get her in the habit of drinking again.

The small poop may be a symptom of her cancer, but it can also be normal. The oldest hen in my flock, although very healthy in spite of no longer laying, occasionally has bouts of tiny, solid poops like that.

It may also be a symptom of dehydration. I suggest two things. Give her a probiotic for a few days. Found in the pharmacy in the digestive aids. The second is to give her high water content treats for a few days - melon, squash, tomatoes, etc. And if she seems to be avoiding the water, try putting a little sugar in it to get her in the habit of drinking again.
Thanks. I put a probiotic with digestive aid in their water. I’m hoping it’s only because she stopped eating as much.

She has not been pooping very often too. In the roost I do not see any poop on the camera. Do you think she could be constipated, or is that unlikely?

Constipation is a very possible explanation for small, hard poop. It's very treatable if you suspect she is constipated. The treatment is safe and you can do it even if you believe there's less than a 100% chance she is.

Give her one teaspoon of coconut oil and follow up with a second in a few hours if the poop doesn't appear to change. You can also safely give her a stool softener in addition to the oil.

Divide the coconut oil into bite-size portions and freeze it. Then it's very easy to slip the hard pieces into her beak. This also prevents aspiration of the oil.

I didn’t know BOs had gloomy feet now I want some :) good luck with ur girl

Constipation is a very possible explanation for small, hard poop. It's very treatable if you suspect she is constipated. The treatment is safe and you can do it even if you believe there's less than a 100% chance she is.

Give her one teaspoon of coconut oil and follow up with a second in a few hours if the poop doesn't appear to change. You can also safely give her a stool softener in addition to the oil.

Divide the coconut oil into bite-size portions and freeze it. Then it's very easy to slip the hard pieces into her beak. This also prevents aspiration of the oil.
Thanks. She actually did not poop at all tonight and her crop did not empty. She seems energetic and not lethargic, and she ate this morning. I’m going to give her coconut oil and massage her crop.

Back
Top Bottom