Is there a conflict?

As a flock they will run directly at predators. It still has nothing to do with intelligence. It has to do with their natural instincts to protect the flock.

They learn and can be trained which are signs of intelligence.
They're much more trainable than chickens. They also understand pointing even better than my roosters do, and one of them is easily in the top 5 of the smartest animals I've ever had the privilege of owning. My chicken hens are kind of stupid on average. If I didn't have roosters they'd be totally unmanageable as a free-range flock.

And like I've said, I've seen them actually use small-unit infantry tactics against threats as a matter of instinct. Honestly, I think people that think selflessness and bravery are signs of stupidity are not to be trusted.

They're native to to North Africa and their instincts are geared for what's there. Mine are winning the "not being eaten by a predator" contest with my chickens: 3:7 so far.

I've seen my guineas use pack tactics to drive off hawks. I've also noticed they've learned the distress sounds of my chickens and the "goon squad" often shows up if the chickens sound like the they're in trouble. They'eve even backed up my roosters when they go into protector mode.

When they were facing off with a coyote that was trying to get through the fence, I didn't stand by idly and watch them get killed (which is pretty stupid if you ask me). I got one of my shotguns and started shooting.

Didn't kill the bastard (those things are FAST) but the guineas cleared out into cover while the gun-play was going on. They walked up to me when the shooting was done and when I got done with the head count I made the herding gesture I trained them to respond to and they silently filed back towards their coop.

That was the second time they flushed out a predator and kept their cool when the shooting started.

Other times I've went to deal with predators and had a couple of my guineas act as backup: they'd get into formation with me, one on either side, and start screaming their heads off.

Yeah, sometimes they'll jump at something they have no hope of handling. But guineas are hard-wired to preserve their flock at all costs. It's not stupid, it's selfless.

Honestly, I've had dogs that weren't as good at guarding my property as guineas. Fun fact: in the middle ages they used to stock castle moats with geese to act as watch-animals for the castle. I think the only reason they used geese is because guinea fowl HATE getting wet.

Thank you for sharing this. I enjoyed your descriptions immensely.
😃👍

Just a side note: Guineas are not just native to North Africa. They are indigenous to the whole of Africa... although I believe that the Guineas in North Africa do look slightly different to the ones here in South Africa.
If you know more, please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom