Is there a way to sex young bantams?

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
So, I just found out that some new chicks I'm getting are not going to be sexed. I am going to use the wing sexing method on the Easter Eggers, but I know that doesn't work on bantams. I am not comfortable doing vent sexing, so is there another way to tell?
I really can't have roosters where I live, so I need to be able to make sure I am getting females while I am at the hatchery picking them up.
Does anyone have any sexing methods that work on bantams? They will be cochin bantams if that changes anything.
Thanks!

The only fairly reliable way of sexing bantams that I know of is by comb and wattle development. At 4 to weeks the cockerels combs start getting bigger and redder, Pullet combs do not develop until close to egg laying age; 4-6 months or more depending on breed..

You can sex Welsummer bantams pretty well by their markings and Welbar for sure by colour. Other than that "as above".

Short answer, no. Most hatcheries don't have their bantam chicks vent sexed, because it's just to hard on them, being so tiny at hatching. MyPetChicken was selling some sexed bantam chicks, and I think some other hatcheries were too, you'll have to look.
Otherwise, it's getting straight run chicks and watching them grow, or buying older birds from someone who will sell pullets, and that you hope has healthy birds.
Mary

Cackle Hatchery sexes about six different types of bantams and even offers a bantam pullet package. I got 17 baby bantam chicks from them back in 2018 and all were actually pullets. And they have been very healthy and productive birds.

I've already reserved the chicks and made an appointment at the hatchery to pick them up. They said they would take any roos back, but I was hoping there might be a way to tell while I'm there. Thanks anyway though!

The only fairly reliable way of sexing bantams that I know of is by comb and wattle development. At 4 to weeks the cockerels combs start getting bigger and redder, Pullet combs do not develop until close to egg laying age; 4-6 months or more depending on breed..

4 weeks is pretty good to start seeing the wattle show. That's enough time to find out pretty early still. And because of the 'The KFC Finger Lickin' Good Principle', scientifically you won't go wrong anyway, as you can put any rejects to good use.

I like Cackle a lot too! I looked at their website a couple of days ago, and most were 'sold out for the season'. Wouldn't hurt to call anyway though.
Mary
A lot of them are selling out early and have huge back order schedules this year. I'd also had issues too with looking and tons of hatcheries. I think probably all of them are like that. :S

Back
Top Bottom