Is there a way to test hardware cloth gauge? Strength?

I would be concerned that at 19 gauge and looking that thin with pvc coating the wire underneath is not galvanized. Which means as soon as that pvc cracks the wire will probably rust through.

It's probably ok for now, but I'd replace it with galvanized hardware cloth if you start noticing cracking in the pvc and rust.

Thanks!! I may have over done the attaching… 🤣
My dog chewed through and ripped an 18 inch opening in 1/2" 14 gauge in less than 10 minutes. Now I have 1/4" 19 gauge on the inside sandwiched between 2x4s, 1/4" on the outside, a 2x2 over the top of all attachment hardware (screws and washers) and then covered with 1/2" 14 gauge, which is then covered with log bars. Just fyi, you can never overdo it.

Last edited:
I would be concerned that at 19 gauge and looking that thin with pvc coating the wire underneath is not galvanized. Which means as soon as that pvc cracks the wire will probably rust through.

It's probably ok for now, but I'd replace it with galvanized hardware cloth if you start noticing cracking in the pvc and rust.
Thanks. The description says it’s galvanized, but I suspect not. It just feel to thin. I’m going to replace it asap

I covered a large L shaped run with 16 gauge hardware cloth from top to the bottom until I ran out of it. I had to used a higher gauge hw cloth on an 8 ft section but it held up long enough to replace it with more 16 gauge wire.I went back over all my 16 gauge wire with galvanized fence wire to protect the hw cloth from climbers. Even the 16 gauge hw cloth can be torn by the right animal if its heavy and climbs on it with big claws

Properly adhered, any hardware cloth should be able to deter raccoons. However, affixing it to the opening is critical as they can pull it away even if they can't tear it open. I've had raccoons tear the siding off of a building and chew through a wooden door.
To answer your question, you should be able to measure the gauge of the wire.
19 gauge should be 0.o41" and possibly 1/2" X 1/2" openings.
There is another one of those Facebook freaks who is saying 1/2" hardware cloth doesn't keep raccoons out, and they in fact broke into his pen. I asked how he attached it because only a bear can rip through HWC if attached properly. He called me a liar. :gig

Back
Top Bottom