Is there a way to test hardware cloth gauge? Strength?

There is another one of those Facebook freaks who is saying 1/2" hardware cloth doesn't keep raccoons out, and they in fact broke into his pen. I asked how he attached it because only a bear can rip through HWC if attached properly. He called me a liar. :gig
Not going to call you a liar, 😂 but "Only a bear" isn't true. Can't speak to raccoons because we don't have those here, but a dog can get teeth through 1/2" and mine was 14 gauge and my dog chewed through and ripped an 18" hole in less than 10 minutes, never underestimate the drive of an animal. My dog was quite proud of himself and undeterred by painfully chewing through metal, cutting up his muzzle, gums and taking a chunk off the top of his nose. Crazy dog.
Edit: forgot to say he wasn't after my poultry, I had put our female that was in heat in the pen for a minute to keep them separated, and it was a fail. He was 196lb dog though, almost bear size.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240625-112909~2.png
    Screenshot_20240625-112909~2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • bubs.jpg
    bubs.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Pic of hole, please?
I've never heard of 1/2" x 1/2" 14ga mesh.
I did take a picture, but it was 6 years ago - it's on an external drive with no clue on file folder to find it in. I had the photo of my dog on my phone. But you're right, our 14 gauge fencing is our 1"x2". The 1/2x1/2 is 18 gauge stainless steel, not galvanized. It was a special order as we're a General Contractor. I'll see if I can find that photo on an external drive marked old laptop files, maybe I'll get lucky.

Not going to call you a liar, 😂 but "Only a bear" isn't true. Can't speak to raccoons because we don't have those here, but a dog can get teeth through 1/2" and mine was 14 gauge and my dog chewed through and ripped an 18" hole in less than 10 minutes, never underestimate the drive of an animal. My dog was quite proud of himself and undeterred by painfully chewing through metal, cutting up his muzzle, gums and taking a chunk off the top of his nose. Crazy dog.
Edit: forgot to say he wasn't after my poultry, I had put our female that was in heat in the pen for a minute to keep them separated, and it was a fail. He was 196lb dog though, almost bear size.
Well okay, bear-sized dogs too then, lol.

I thought that was a bear for a second. What kind of dog is that?

Back
Top Bottom