Is there significant difference in behavior in a flock of 3 hens vs 4 vs 5?

you should factor in the likelihood of losing some between acquisition and maturity. Very few people appear to get 100% survive to adulthood, especially if they were shipped. Two of my three homegrown summer clutches each lost a chick at about 3 weeks old (one vanished, one drowned) for example.

Fwiw, I had a couple of heritage LF RIR in my early years of chicken keeping, and they had no issues with the other breeds here. Can't speak to the other breeds you're contemplating, except to note that is it much easier to know who's who, who's laying, and to keep accurate records when you have hens that look different and lay different colour/size eggs. Also makes for a more interesting/attractive egg basket, and an option to select the right size egg for the purpose planned (when cooking).

I am very pleased with the chicks I got from Mt Healthy. I did have to pay a "small order' fee ($30, IIRC) because I was ordering 4 chicks. (I got 5, all healthy and what I ordered.) Their minimum is 3 chicks, and I think you can mix breeds.

Some would balk at the $30 fee, but it allowed me to get what I wanted, Bielefelders, in a number I could manage, so it was well worth it to me.

One option I've used over the years is to find a friend who also wants chicks, get enough chicks for both of us, then turn over their chicks to them once they reach six weeks. This worked out really well as one friend worked and couldn't tend to young chicks as she would have liked.

But two chicks can also thrive. A couple of years ago, the manager at TSC gave me the last two chicks she had, needing to clear them out. Besides being free, they were rare Sicilian Buttercups. They did marvelously well just the two of them, and are always together now, yet each very independent as well.

you should factor in the likelihood of losing some between acquisition and maturity. Very few people appear to get 100% survive to adulthood, especially if they were shipped.
I used to anticipate that (especially since I had to replace 2 chicks in my very first batch), but I've failed at having failed chicks in the last two batches and ended up with more birds than I needed. Which isn't an issue if you manage a large flock or sell eggs/really love eggs, but for a smaller flock, that can start eating up space faster than intended. So it's a bit of a balancing act.

I would not get bantam chicks in a full size flock. Some people can make it work, but a lot of people report a lot of bullying for the bantam if mixed with full size hens.

With a BA there is a good chance she might go broody. Let her sit and then order chicks to slip under her. It is the best way to raise chicks in the flock.

If you don't, I put my chicks out into the flock in a safety zone between 3-4 weeks old. This lets them get raised in the flock.

Mrs K

Yep, I ended up with far too many the first time around because I wasn't willing to risk not having enough pullets of each breed. And because I expected to lose some and didn't lose any. I think it was partly because I picked them up at the hatchery. There was still shipping stress but at least I know jostling and handling were minimized and the temperature was good all the time.

If I get bantams, I'd still have to get extra because they aren't sexed.

With a BA there is a good chance she might go broody. Let her sit and then order chicks to slip under her. It is the best way to raise chicks in the flock.
Mocha (BA) went broody the first summer she was a hen. I tried to get fertilized eggs for her and couldn't in the time frame she needed them. I also tried to get some local chicks for her days 20-25 and couldn't do that either. The next summer (last summer), I think she was thinking about going broody again - right when I found out the zoning committee changed to people much more accepting of chickens. Getting to go outside was very exciting and effectively broke her broodiness. Unfortunately, she is one I lost. None of the others have shown any inclination. If one does before I get chicks, I'll try harder to get chicks for her.

I'm planning to raise them in the coop/shed in any case. I can clear out the storage half of the shed for them until they join the others.

Thanks about the LF/bantam risk. I rather have four or five and not be able to tell which hen laid which egg and have a better chance at a peaceful flock than push for six with banties. My friend that took Spice has LF and banties but he has a big barn and huge outdoor spaces.

I have a couple of months to think about it. I could start over with just bantams. I probably won't though. If I was going to give up Nutmeg, Coco, and Pepper the best time would have been before dh took care of them for three weeks while I was away. And before I feed them through the winter.

Back
Top Bottom