Is this a bumblefoot kernel?

Mar 5, 2023
France
Hi,

Dealing with bumblefoot for the first time and would love some advice. Tonight we got Ursula from her perch and did the soak and scab removal. I find it difficult to know if what I got out was what people call the kernel, or if it was just a thick scab. Picture attached.
1000036000.jpg
Beyond this, there was mostly free-flowing red blood, and a little bit of stringy white stuff that I was unsure about. Somewhere I read that can be part of the foot, elsewhere to remove everything. Nothing came out when I squeezed, except for blood. I erred on the side of caution and just cleaned it out really well, soaking and wiping with sterile gauze and antiseptic. We wrapped it up with loads of antiseptic, taped it, and put her back in bed. We'll take a look again tomorrow to see how things look.

The scab was about 2 - 3 millimetres in diameter and there was no swelling or redness. I only spotted it by chance when she stretched the other day.

What do you think, were we thorough enough or was that just the surface?

That is definitely a kernel of pus. Can you post pictures of her foot when you unwrap it and look at it tomorrow?
Thank you for that confirmation, I really appreciate it!

We'll change her dressing tonight because to my surprise it's stayed on really well. I'll get a photo.

She's looking well today overall, no limping :)

Here is an update 24 hours after.

I don't love the way this looks, to be honest. That does not look like a healthy scab to me. She's also more swollen than before we started the treatment. Poor girl 😞

1000036033.jpg

@Sally PB I'd be very grateful for your thoughts

I'm going to toss this to people who know much more than I do. I have never dealt with bumblefoot, but I did recognize the pus kernel from reading other threads.

Bumblefoot can take weeks or even months to resolve. You may need to soak and remove the scab and plug more than once.

I have heard of several people packing the crater (after digging out any/all pus) with drawing salves. Look for Prid (I got mine at Walgreens) and also look up "sugardine."

@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive

I'm going to toss this to people who know much more than I do. I have never dealt with bumblefoot, but I did recognize the pus kernel from reading other threads.

Bumblefoot can take weeks or even months to resolve. You may need to soak and remove the scab and plug more than once.

I have heard of several people packing the crater (after digging out any/all pus) with drawing salves. Look for Prid (I got mine at Walgreens) and also look up "sugardine."

@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
Thank you, I really appreciate your support and insight!! Yes it seems like being patient, gentle and thorough is the thing.

I can only get Prid where I live by importing it from the US (and neosporin which many people seem to use is to my knowledge actually banned in the EU), but I checked the ingredients and can probably source something simliar where I live.

Ah! I found the link I was thinking of that talks about sugardine. This is something you might be able to make at home.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumblefoot.1628489/#post-27812888

The "search" tab on the top far right of the screen will help you find a lot of information here on BYC.

Also, it helps if you put your location in your profile. Just the state, or the country, is enough. It really helps people here to know a bit more on what to suggest.

Good luck, and keep asking questions. That's how we all learn. :thumbsup

Thank you, I really appreciate your support and insight!! Yes it seems like being patient, gentle and thorough is the thing.

I can only get Prid where I live by importing it from the US (and neosporin which many people seem to use is to my knowledge actually banned in the EU), but I checked the ingredients and can probably source something simliar where I live.
I live in France too
I have a very kind doctor who agreed to give me a prescription for amoxicillin - capsules so dose 125mg per kg twice a day.
I use betadin liquid from any pharmacy (until water looks like weak tea) and warm water for about 20 mins - it softens the scab
Vetericyn is a general purpose antimicrobal spray which is excellent for any purpose (Amazon.fr)
If you know and Americans I have friends who got me some Polysporin which is an antibiotic ointment. I fill the hole with the ointment before bandaging it with the self sticky stretchy bandage.
Hope this helps

Scabs can be thick. Usually the plug in below the scab. The white stringy material could have been more pus that has not become solid. I have seen that before. The foot pad may be swollen from the scab removal and squeezing. I would use sugardine (povidone iodine and sugar) made into a paste, and store it in a jar. Apply the paste onto a 2x2 gauze pad on the scab, then wrap it with cohesive wrap. Change it daily or every other day. Let the chicken have normal activity. Here is a good video of a proper foot dressing:

Back
Top Bottom