Is this a bumblefoot kernel?

To me it looks like you just pulled off the surface scab. The rest of the kernel is still in the foot. I usually use tweezers to gently dig the kernel out of the foot. There should be a hole in the foot after the kernel is removed.

Ah! I found the link I was thinking of that talks about sugardine. This is something you might be able to make at home.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumblefoot.1628489/#post-27812888

The "search" tab on the top far right of the screen will help you find a lot of information here on BYC.

Also, it helps if you put your location in your profile. Just the state, or the country, is enough. It really helps people here to know a bit more on what to suggest.

Good luck, and keep asking questions. That's how we all learn. :thumbsup
Thank you so much! and yes will do about the location 🙂

I use the search function all the time, it's a life saver - I just couldn't find and good pictures of kernels so I was not sure if I got it or not. Hopefully I did!

To me it looks like you just pulled off the surface scab. The rest of the kernel is still in the foot. I usually use tweezers to gently dig the kernel out of the foot. There should be a hole in the foot after the kernel is removed.
Thanks! Would it remain a hole even a day after? There was a hole after I got that plug out, but 24 hours later it had sort of scabbed over (making me doubt it I had to do it again)

Scabs can be thick. Usually the plug in below the scab. The white stringy material could have been more pus that has not become solid. I have seen that before. The foot pad may be swollen from the scab removal and squeezing. I would use sugardine (povidone iodine and sugar) made into a paste, and store it in a jar. Apply the paste onto a 2x2 gauze pad on the scab, then wrap it with cohesive wrap. Change it daily or every other day. Let the chicken have normal activity. Here is a good video of a proper foot dressing:
Thank you so much!

I live in France too
I have a very kind doctor who agreed to give me a prescription for amoxicillin - capsules so dose 125mg per kg twice a day.
I use betadin liquid from any pharmacy (until water looks like weak tea) and warm water for about 20 mins - it softens the scab
Vetericyn is a general purpose antimicrobal spray which is excellent for any purpose (Amazon.fr)
If you know and Americans I have friends who got me some Polysporin which is an antibiotic ointment. I fill the hole with the ointment before bandaging it with the self sticky stretchy bandage.
Hope this helps
I'm in France too and have done something rather similar. It's hard to find any drawing salve with Ichtammol here, Inotyol and Bithiol were withdrawn from the market two years ago. You can try to order them online, I got this from Italy but had to pay taxes on it.

I've had to deal with many bumblefeet in the last year and one important thing is that they don't all have a solid core as people often tell you on BYC. The pus can present itself as stringy white material. Most people think of bumblefeet as staph infection but it can be infection by another bacteria or the stage before the bacteria is there

Three of my hens with bumblefeet were treated with oral antibiotic on a vet prescription and it did nothing to help. If you prefer to use antibiotics sparingly, I would skip them.

Last thing that really helped me is the possibility to use a second skin type of dressing after a week or two. This means you can leave it on for two or three, even four days and not have to treat every day. That combined with vet wrap was the easiest and most effective combination I found. I alternated bathing in water with betadine, and water with epsom salts ( sulfate de magnésium here). This is the dressing I use which can be cut to size.
IMG_20240619_172938.jpg

Don't forget to check your other hens feet. Good luck.

Thanks! Would it remain a hole even a day after? There was a hole after I got that plug out, but 24 hours later it had sort of scabbed over (making me doubt it I had to do it again)
If there was a hole in the foot, that is good. That means you did get some of the infection out. Her foot may require several treatments before fully healing especially with the stringy pus.
Last thing that really helped me is the possibility to use a second skin type of dressing after a week or two. This means you can leave it on for two or three, even four days and not have to treat every day. That combined with vet wrap was the easiest and most effective combination I found. I alternated bathing in water with betadine, and water with epsom salts ( sulfate de magnésium here). This is the dressing I use which can be cut to size.
I wait several days between treatment too. If you can't find Dermaplast, you can also use a small piece of gauze. Just make sure all of the gauze is covered by the vet wrap or it will wick any moisture onto the foot.

I'm in France too and have done something rather similar. It's hard to find any drawing salve with Ichtammol here, Inotyol and Bithiol were withdrawn from the market two years ago. You can try to order them online, I got this from Italy but had to pay taxes on it.

I've had to deal with many bumblefeet in the last year and one important thing is that they don't all have a solid core as people often tell you on BYC. The pus can present itself as stringy white material. Most people think of bumblefeet as staph infection but it can be infection by another bacteria or the stage before the bacteria is there

Three of my hens with bumblefeet were treated with oral antibiotic on a vet prescription and it did nothing to help. If you prefer to use antibiotics sparingly, I would skip them.

View attachment 3866855

Thanks for the post I will get some of this for my hen first aid cabinet.

I live in France too
I have a very kind doctor who agreed to give me a prescription for amoxicillin - capsules so dose 125mg per kg twice a day.
I use betadin liquid from any pharmacy (until water looks like weak tea) and warm water for about 20 mins - it softens the scab
Vetericyn is a general purpose antimicrobal spray which is excellent for any purpose (Amazon.fr)
If you know and Americans I have friends who got me some Polysporin which is an antibiotic ointment. I fill the hole with the ointment before bandaging it with the self sticky stretchy bandage.
Hope this helps
Amazing info, thank you! And how nice with someone else on here who is in France 🙂

We have some amoxicillin at home in case things get bad. I also just ordered a pommade from Ferme de Beaumont that looks like a nice mix of herbs and antiseptic. I'll get some betadine and better tape asap.

Last edited:

View attachment 3866855

Amazing, thank you for the tips!

If there was a hole in the foot, that is good. That means you did get some of the infection out. Her foot may require several treatments before fully healing especially with the stringy pus.

I wait several days between treatment too. If you can't find Dermaplast, you can also use a small piece of gauze. Just make sure all of the gauze is covered by the vet wrap or it will wick any moisture onto the foot.
Yes I might have to go back for that stringy stuff. It is hard to know what's foot and what's infection and I don't want to cause more harm by being to radical.

For the first few dressings I've been using a sterile wound dressing pad and tape from our human first aid kit but I'm off getting better supplies tomorrow.

I'm happy to hear that you both wait between treatments. That feels both easier to manage and less stressful for her. 🐔

Back
Top Bottom