Is this enough ventilation?

...who is sad that the shed you bought is so unsuited to chickens.
We're just trying to do the best with what we have, which it seems like many people have successfully done before. Again, I came here for help, but I don't feel the judgement is accomplishing that.

I see the information you left about ventilation, but we already understand that the ventilation must be high enough up from the roosts that the wind doesn't bother the chickens, which is why we haven't added vents on the other two sides of the shed because they come down so much further.

I am looking into it more to see how we can accommodate more ventilation, but still haven't received any constructive help from anyone here, so I will refrain from asking again.

Most often I come to BYC and get a lot of support and helpful advice, but this, possibly the most important thing I've come here for, has been a massive disappointment.

Most often I come to BYC and get a lot of support and helpful advice, but this, possibly the most important thing I've come here for, has been a massive disappointment.
This shed ventilation problem has no easy answers...
...maybe with time someone will come long with some solutions.

Yeah, we've tried to research quite a bit, but there's not much information when it comes to this style of shed - we're kind of going off of other YouTubers who are also concerned with the ventilation in their coops similar to ours. It's also difficult to find workable solutions and exactly how much is necessary. I understand that they need about 1sq ft per chicken, but how to accommodate that with our new coop isn't mapped out exactly, which makes it kind of a guessing game. We thought adding the air filtration system would definitely help, and you can feel a lot more airflow out of the vents now that we added it, but it still seems like we should be doing more.

Thank you for the well wishes with our chicks! It was a rough start, but things seem to be going smoothly now, so knock on wood we can keep it that way!
The simple ventilation solution (not the cheapest) is to install triangle louvered gable vents on both ends. They can be purchased from most home improvement stores, Amazon, etc. Just make sure it's functional and not just decorative.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240902-070944~2.png
    Screenshot_20240902-070944~2.png
    166.2 KB · Views: 6
The simple ventilation solution (not the cheapest) is to install triangle louvered gable vents on both ends. They can be purchased from most home improvement stores, Amazon, etc. Just make sure it's functional and not just decorative.
Thank you! I was actually just looking for this particular thing, but I'm still unsure now if that would be enough? Although our air filtration system definitely helps push fresh air through the coop, so maybe it would be. That's the major reason we invested in it, so maybe I'll try that and just see how it goes. Either way, it would be a lot better than what we have now.

Also considering adding a monitor style roof, but we aren't experienced builders by any means. If we can get enough ventilation without having to make a major modification to the roof, that would be great, but we are willing to do whatever it takes.

Thank you! I was actually just looking for this particular thing, but I'm still unsure now if that would be enough? Although our air filtration system definitely helps push fresh air through the coop, so maybe it would be. That's the major reason we invested in it, so maybe I'll try that and just see how it goes. Either way, it would be a lot better than what we have now.

Also considering adding a monitor style roof, but we aren't experienced builders by any means. If we can get enough ventilation without having to make a major modification to the roof, that would be great, but we are willing to do whatever it takes.
I don't know what substrate you are planning to use under your roost bars, but I would suggest using zeolites/Clinoptlolite as it will remove ammonia via ion exchange and help keep humidity down. SweetPDZ is zeolite, however you can also purchase bulk zeolite gravel from home Depot, that's where I purchase mine and what I use under my roosts.

If you find the gable vents are not enough, consider repurposing your soffit vents near floor level for air draw, just be sure to cover with hardware cloth or other suitable wire mesh to prevent predator intrusion.

I don't know what substrate you are planning to use under your roost bars, but I would suggest using zeolites/Clinoptlolite as it will remove ammonia via ion exchange and help keep humidity down. SweetPDZ is zeolite, however you can also purchase bulk zeolite gravel from home Depot, that's where I purchase mine and what I use under my roosts.

If you find the gable vents are not enough, consider repurposing your soffit vents near floor level for air draw, just be sure to cover with hardware cloth or other suitable wire mesh to prevent predator intrusion.
Yup, already have the sweet PDZ, use it, and love it. That's exactly what we will be using under the roosts, except the PDZ stall dry instead of coop refresher, since it's the same thing, just more for cheaper.

If we had a home Depot closer to us, I would for sure look into buying it in bulk, that would be fantastic.

Also, planning on using sand for the floor material, but possibly looking into something like horse pellets since they are so absorbent. Sand is seeming like a good option because I will have a lot of feathered feet to think about, and I like the idea that it will help keep them cleaner and drier, but am still open to other ideas. I'm not really interested in the deep litter method, but definitely want something easier to keep clean and that we wouldn't need to replace as often, and sand seems to fit that bill, along with keeping it cooler in the Summer. As long as we can keep it totally dry during winter, it is also supposed to help keep it warmer from what I've been reading.

I think the general consensus is 1 square foot of ventilation per chicken. I'd suggest a search on coop ventilation to gather as much information as possible.

I have an open air coop, one end being open but has an eight foot overhang roof. I see you have no overhang whatsoever so ventilation is going to be more difficult than just cutting open your gables which is what most would recommend.

Sorry your broody hen wasn't the best mom. Wishing you the best for your baby chicks.
Do you know how much ventilation is needed per quail?

Back
Top Bottom