Is this normal for a wild Mallard Duckling?

Love of all animals

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2024
There is a mom and 1 baby Mallard at our campsite that clearly people are feeding. But my concern is with the baby. Please excuse me as I don’t know the proper names and terminology. The baby has a big ball looking thing at the bottom of its neck. I know that’s where food goes but today when we arrived at our campsite they came up on the grass and it just looks really big today. Our neighbor feeds them duck pellets so I asked her for some so I could try and get pictures and video to try and ask for information. I’m new here so I’m not sure how to post pictures or videos if we’re able to.

IMG_6706.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6711.jpeg
    IMG_6711.jpeg
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6705.jpeg
    IMG_6705.jpeg
    870.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6704.jpeg
    IMG_6704.jpeg
    868.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6702.jpeg
    IMG_6702.jpeg
    856.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6701.jpeg
    IMG_6701.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Interesting.. the duckling’s body looks more small to me than anything. Like the head and crop is normal, but the body is small?

There is a mom and 1 baby Mallard at our campsite that clearly people are feeding. But my concern is with the baby. Please excuse me as I don’t know the proper names and terminology. The baby has a big ball looking thing at the bottom of its neck. I know that’s where food goes but today when we arrived at our campsite they came up on the grass and it just looks really big today. Our neighbor feeds them duck pellets so I asked her for some so I could try and get pictures and video to try and ask for information. I’m new here so I’m not sure how to post pictures or videos if we’re able to.
:welcome

That is the crop. It looks a little big to me, but I’m not an expert. I’m more of a chicken person.
@Duck Momma 89
My brain ain’t working this late at night, so that’s the only duck person I can think of.
Yes that’s the word I was looking for crop lol. It might be fine I just thought it looked much bigger today than it has in the past few weeks and the actual body looks so tiny today like it’s not getting enough in its belly. But again I could be wrong actually I hope I am wrong. Thank you for your help

I suspect that the photos are of one very greedy duckling that doesn't know when to stop eating. Be sure that there is plenty of clean water for the ducklings to drink.

It's the biggest crop I can recall seeing in a duckling, but my son has a very hungry Pekin female who is very food driven, and she commonly looks like the photos. As long as the duckling is drinking and pooping, watch and wait and see!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom