Is this pin feathers?

CrazyChickLady64

Songster
Nov 5, 2023
Sulphur Springs Texas
Hello I am new to having silkie chickens. I have 2 and one of them has these feathers on the feet that I am wondering if they are pin feathers or just normal. The feathers are wet because I just washed her/his? Feet off. Is this a bad thing for the chicken will it change? TIA
IMG_20240427_094515088.jpg

Yep, those are pin feathers. Pin feathers are normal, as a new feather is growing it is encased in a protective keratin sheath. As the blood supply in the feather shaft receeds the keratin sheath naturally flakes/crumbles away (often expedited by normal chicken grooming), revealing the feather. Once the feather is done growing the blood supply will dry up and the last of the keratin will come off and leave a shiny new feather.

Yep, those are pin feathers. Pin feathers are normal, as a new feather is growing it is encased in a protective keratin sheath. As the blood supply in the feather shaft receeds the keratin sheath naturally flakes/crumbles away (often expedited by normal chicken grooming), revealing the feather. Once the feather is done growing the blood supply will dry up and the last of the keratin will come off and leave a shiny new feather.
Thank you so much. I am relieved to know this is normal and we'll go away.

Back
Top Bottom