Is this really how a brooder heat plate should be?

Mcgheeii73

Chirping
Jul 13, 2019
Could this brooder plate be too HOT? (Photo attached)

I'm a first time chicken lady, have had ducks though.

I have four chicks are approaching 1 week old and one chick who is approaching 2 weeks old. I've been using a 250W red heat bulb that is placed about 2 or 2.5 feet up from the bottom surface of the brooder. I have an infrared thermometer gun and regularly check the temperature throughout the brooder and it ranges from in the high 70s/ low 80s (Fahrenheit) on one side up to 96ish and 100 in the hottest side. The first few days it was in the low 100s and I've moved the lamp up a couple inches since then.

I got this plate because I've read the 250W bulb will be costly to keep using. Our electricity bills are very high in my area already. The plate gets very very hot, too hot to touch for more than a literal second or two. I used it last night for the first time and the chicks stayed piled under it pretty much all night and ate a lot less food than what they had been eating. I have a wifi camera on them and they were not really seen out from under the plate all night the times I checked.

I'm a first timer with chicks so I'm not sure if this is normal or if it means they were too cold to come out from under it. When I hover my hand over the hot side of the plate just a few millimeters away, I feel no heat at all. When I touch it, it's scorching. The manual says their backs need to be able to touch the plate but I don't see how that will not scald them to death as hot as it is. I expected to feel just a slight amount of heat radiating off of it when I was millimeters away but I felt nothing.

Are all of the plates like this or is mine possibly a cheap unregulated or defective one? I went back to the heat lamp tonight because I know it will keep them warm and they get up and move about freely and eat off and on through the night with it going.
1000020951.jpg

Yeah, holding my hand against the plate does feel uncomfortable to me. I think that's normal. And the beauty of a plate is it allows the chicks to move away from it if they are too hot (unlike a lamp which they can't get away from as easily). So if they aren't moving away then they are pretty happy with it! They have their feathers too. It's not like their skin is pressed against the plate.

You can raise it up so they do not have to bend.
Yes I use one too.
When they lay down there's a lot of clearance. I don't see how they're getting warm under it as is it. When i stuck my hand under it this morning there was no warmth where they had been bedded down. If I raise it up then it'll be even cooler to them since the heat isn't actually radiating out

Yeah, holding my hand against the plate does feel uncomfortable to me. I think that's normal. And the beauty of a plate is it allows the chicks to move away from it if they are too hot (unlike a lamp which they can't get away from as easily). So if they aren't moving away then they are pretty happy with it! They have their feathers too. It's not like their skin is pressed against the plate.
Good point. I may give it another try. I was just worried with them not eating all night, they were too cold to get up and get out from under the plate.

I've only used brooder plates and they worked just fine. I think the proper height is just low enough for their backs to touch when they stand. My plates (cheaper ones) had some warmth when you hold your hand under it, and when they are running they are quite hot to the touch like a hot mug of coffee.

If the chicks are not being loud and are not acting lethargic then they aren't too hot/cold. They don't need to be eating at night if it's dark. I think it's good for them to have a proper day/night schedule unlike chicks with heat lamps. They know to prepare for night time by getting a crop full of food to hold them over.

I switched to using a plate last year and it took some time to trust it because it just doesn't get "hot" like a lamp.

Back
Top Bottom