ISA Brown gender?

another view of rose

Thank you so much for the info! This is my first time with chicks and I've fallen absolutely in love with them but seems I didn't do my research enough.
So, do I take suspect cockerel back or wait and see? They had brown/white chicks and all brown chicks at the farm but called the brown/white ones ISA x Leghorn!
I've emailed the farm and they said they get them in professionally sexed as hens but if I want to swap one I can. I'm not sure what to do. The receipt also says they are 8 weeks old (despite being told they are 6weeks) so she could very well be almost 9 weeks old....
Also the other one has a tiny comb like my pullet but her wattle is as big as the other one. I'm so confused and quite emotional about it all.

Thank you so much for the info! This is my first time with chicks and I've fallen absolutely in love with them but seems I didn't do my research enough.
So, do I take suspect cockerel back or wait and see? They had brown/white chicks and all brown chicks at the farm but called the brown/white ones ISA x Leghorn!
I've emailed the farm and they said they get them in professionally sexed as hens but if I want to swap one I can. I'm not sure what to do. The receipt also says they are 8 weeks old (despite being told they are 6weeks) so she could very well be almost 9 weeks old....
Also the other one has a tiny comb like my pullet but her wattle is as big as the other one. I'm so confused and quite emotional about it all.

Isa Brown X Leghorn cannot be color sexed like 1st generation Isa Brown's can. The farm would have to vent sex them which is only about 90% accurate. I would personally take the suspected cockerel back and swap it for a straight Isa Brown pullet. You will know it's a pullet by color (reddish feathers instead of all or mostly all white).

Ok I'll do that... So I'll keep the other production red?
I'll look for a pullet that looks like my lohmann brown girl and make sure she has a tiny comb and little wattle. How quick do pullets combs grow in a few weeks? I assume not as big as my cockerel.

Ok Thankyou both so much for your info, I know it can be frustrating with such a new chick owner.
I'm thinking I'll take them both back, the others wattle is the reddest of them all.
Do you think the constant change of chicks will affect my lone pullet? She had two brothers that got taken away now her new friends are going to be taken and replaced. Will she be ok ?

Pullets can have wattles that flush bright pink when they are excited or stressed. At your chicks' age, it's the size of the comb and how pink it is, that is a bit concerning.

Ok Thankyou both so much for your info, I know it can be frustrating with such a new chick owner.
I'm thinking I'll take them both back, the others wattle is the reddest of them all.
Do you think the constant change of chicks will affect my lone pullet? She had two brothers that got taken away now her new friends are going to be taken and replaced. Will she be ok ?
You're welcome.

Pullets can have wattles that flush bright pink when they are excited or stressed. At your chicks' age, it's the size of the comb and how pink it is, that is a bit concerning.
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom