It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Soup is on the menu again today...my sons friend jokingly referred to this as Lava Soup as it was boiling hot when I served it up...he always came back for more!

We used to go to an Italian restaurant and they always served a delicious steak soup as a choice...I played around with ingredients until I came up with the following and we enjoy this just as much!

This is a very adaptable recipe...add any veggies that appeal or remove any that don't appeal to your tastebuds, that being said the soup is best with the tomatoes! I add any fresh veggies at the beginning of the cooking process! Serve this with a crusty bread or rolls...yum!

Hamburger/Steak Soup

1 lb. hamburger (browned) or leftover steak

Onion (sautéed)

Garlic (sautéed)

1-2 Cans tomatoes with chili peppers or you can saute fresh hot peppers with the onions & garlic1

1-2 Cans Chicken or beef broth or homemade bone broth

2-4 Potatoes Chopped into bite size pieces

1 can Black beans or whatever type you prefer

1 can Green beans with juice or (fresh Green Beans added at the same time as potatoes)

1c frozen corn

Worcestershire sauce

Salt & Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients except green beans and cook until potatoes are tender 20-30 minutes, then add your green beans. You can also add any other veggies you want (Carrots, peppers, corn etc...) (if fresh add with potatoes if canned add at the end). I found this recipe in a book and I am not sure where it is at the moment. This is the basic recipe idea; you can adjust amounts depending on how many people you want to feed. I’m sorry it is not more exact, it is a very forgiving recipe and easy to adjust.

Last edited:
Soup is on the menu again today...my sons friend jokingly referred to this as Lava Soup as it was boiling hot when I served it up...he always came back for more!

We used to go to an Italian recipe and they always served a delicious steak soup as a choice...I played around with ingredients until I came up with the following and we enjoy this just as much!

This is a very adaptable recipe...add any veggies that appeal or remove any that don't appeal to your tastebuds, that being said the soup is best with the tomatoes! I add any fresh veggies at the beginning of the cooking process! Serve this with a crusty bread or rolls...yum!

Hamburger/Steak Soup

1 lb. hamburger (browned) or leftover steak

Onion (sautéed)

Garlic (sautéed)

1-2 Cans tomatoes with chili peppers or you can saute fresh hot peppers with the onions & garlic1

1-2 Cans Chicken or beef broth

2-4 Potatoes Chopped into bite size pieces

1 can Black beans or whatever type you prefer

1 can Green beans with juice or (fresh Green Beans added at the same time as potatoes)

1c frozen corn

Worcestershire sauce

Salt & Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients except green beans and cook until potatoes are tender, then add your green beans. You can also add any other veggies you want (Carrots, peppers, corn etc...) (if fresh add with potatoes if canned add at the end). I found this recipe in a book and I am not sure where it is at the moment. This is the basic recipe idea; you can adjust amounts depending on how many people you want to feed. I’m sorry it is not more exact, it is a very forgiving recipe and easy to adjust.
my mom made a soup just like this and we called it dump soup---she just dumped whatever she had in it! We love it

Italian Peasant Stew

2 oz Olive oil
1 package hot* Italian sausage (sliced)
4 oz Pancetta or bacon (diced)
1 large or 2 small onions (diced)
Pinch of salt
1/4 Cup red wine
4 cloves of crushed & minced garlic
1 TBS dried basil
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp red pepper flake*
1 tsp black pepper
1 can 15.5 oz Cannellini beans (with juice for thicker consistency or drained and rinsed for thinner consistency)
1 package 3 cheese tortellini (optional)

This is great
Fresh Basil for garnish
Italian cheese blend for garnish

I used a porcelain lined dutch oven. Add the oil and heat on medium low fire until about 350*, add bacon and sausage and cook until the bacon is crisp and the sausage is browned. Remove the meat to a paper towel lined plate and pour off all but about a table spoon of the fat.

Add the onions and just enough salt to make them sweat. Start deglazing the pan. Add the wine (you can substitute beef or chicken stock if you prefer) and garlic and work the pan until all the brown bits are up and the liquid is gone.

Add the tortellini, stir well and simmer another 8 minutes.

A nice crusty bread for dipping goes well with this recipe.

Spiced Carrot and Pepper Soup

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves of garlic
1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
6 large red bell peppers
1 pound of carrots, thinly sliced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika (sweet not hot)
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp harissa (optional)

In a large pot:

Heat the oil until hot and add the onions and garlic. Cook until lightly browned (approx 5-10 min). Add the peppers and cook until they are slightly softened (approx. 10 min). Add the carrots and cook for another 5 min. Add the spices and cook for 1 more minute. Add the salt and enough water to just cover the vegetables. Cover and simmer until veggies are tender (approx 25-30 min). Use an upright or immersion blender to puree until smooth. Stir in the harissa (optional).

Optional serving suggestions/ garnishes:

Chopped flat leaf parsley
Lemon wedges
A few spoonfuls of cooked rice per bowl.

White Soup

1 Lb Chicken Breasts, or any other meats
1 Medium Onion, Chopped.
Garlic (To taste)
1 Tablespoon Oil
1 1lb bag great northern beans or 6 potato
6 cups broth
2 cans chopped green chilies
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions.

Saute meat, onions, and garlic in oil. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Before serving add 1 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup whipping cream.

Chicken noodle soup

* 1 (3.5 lb) whole chicken or equivalent weight in thighs
* 3 quarts low sodium chicken broth (i use saved broth from past batches or bone broth made earlier and saved)
* 6 carrots peeled
* 4 stalks celery, ends trimmed
* 3 medium onions, peeled
* 5 black peppercorns
* 1 clove garlic
* 10 sprigs parsley
* 2 sprigs thyme
* 1 Bay leaf
2 TBS butter or Olive oil
* 4 leeks, tops and root ends removed (optional)
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
* 3 cups (5-8 oz) medium egg noodles (homemade prepared)

Place the chicken and broth in a large stockpot and set it over medium heat. Roughly chop 2 carrots, 2 celery ribs, 1 onion and add the broth. Add the peppercorns, garlic, 2 sprigs of parsley, thyme, Bay leaf, and enough water to just cover the chicken. Bring broth to a boil, reduce heat to a summer, and cook until the chicken is very tender, about 1 1/4 hours, skimming the surface periodically (I always skip that). Remove the chicken and place in a large bowl. Strain the broth through a very fine sieve into a large, clean bowl or stockpot. Discard the vegetables.
Skim any fat off the top of the strained broth and discard. Slice the remaining carrots, celery, onions, and leeks into 1/4 inch thick pieces and set aside. Remove and discard the skin and bones from the chicken. Cut the meat into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside. Chop the remaining parsley leaves and set aside. Melt the butter (or heat oil) in a large Dutch oven over medium heat or in the bottom of the stockpot. Add the vegetables and cook until the onions are translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the chicken, the reserved broth, salt, and pepper. Simmer the soup until the vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Stire in the egg noodles and parsley and cook until the noodles are tender, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.

Back
Top Bottom