It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Pics
I measured ingredients for the soup today so here’s an actual recipe. Some people strain the broth and serve the matzo balls in it but I keep all that good stuff in there

Matzo Ball Soup
12 cups water
6 chicken breast cutlets
1 Tbsp salt, I used pink Himalayan
3 or 4 bay leaves
6 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
1 onion, quartered, don’t remove the brown skin
3 carrots, sliced
3 stalks celery, chopped
Matzo meal

Mix matzo ball dough according to package instructions and refrigerate. The dough has to be cold to make the balls later. Add water through onion to stock pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is almost cooked through; add the carrots and celery and simmer a while longer. Use tongs to remove breast cutlets to a plate and pick out the onion skin, return pot to heat and bring to a boil. Make matzo balls and add to the pot all at once, cover and cook about 30-40 minutes. While the matzo balls cook break up 2 or 3 cutlets into chunks and add back to the pot for the last five minutes of cook time to heat through.

Sounds wonderful, thank you!

Lard isn't my favorite either, but it does work well in some things! I love duck fat for fried eggs & in breakfast gravy...so good! I learned how to make ghee from Urvashi Pitre at Twosleevers. She's from India, so she knows what she's talking about. She also has the most amazing Butter Chicken recipe, if you like Indian food! I also make my own Garam Masala spice mix from her recipe...makes all the difference in Indian cooking! Here's the link for the ghee! https://twosleevers.com/homemade-ghee/
Edit: I forgot to say that I'm hoping to render the fat from the half cow we bought! Hopefully I will get to it by or over the weekend!
Thank you Rene!

16 pages and not a single broccoli cheese soup recipe. A travesty. Its the only soup I like and I NEED a recipe!!
here is how I make this--son's favorite soup: in Dutch oven:
melt 1 stick butter, add chopped onion to saute' until clear and soft. Add broccoli (frozen chopped or chopped fresh--as much as you like). Cover with chicken broth and simmer 15 min. Add 1 whole brick of velveeta cut into cubes and a tbl garlic powder. Stir over low heat and add 2 cups milk . Mix 2/3 cup cornstarch with 1 cup water and add stirring until thickened.

here is how I make this--son's favorite soup: in Dutch oven:
melt 1 stick butter, add chopped onion to saute' until clear and soft. Add broccoli (frozen chopped or chopped fresh--as much as you like). Cover with chicken broth and simmer 15 min. Add 1 whole brick of velveeta cut into cubes and a tbl garlic powder. Stir over low heat and add 2 cups milk . Mix 2/3 cup cornstarch with 1 cup water and add stirring until thickened.
Just asking but why wouldnt you use flour with your roux to thicken instead of cornstarch at the end? My MIL does the cornstarch at the end with gravy and it's always really thin like water

Just asking but why wouldnt you use flour with your roux to thicken instead of cornstarch at the end? My MIL does that with gravy and it's always really thin like water
I usually use cornstarch because flour sometimes is lumpy--use flour if you prefer. My sister uses instant mashed potato flakes to thicken soups. Sometimes I take some of the soup out, puree it and return it to pot as thickener

I usually use cornstarch because flour sometimes is lumpy--use flour if you prefer. My sister uses instant mashed potato flakes to thicken soups. Sometimes I take some of the soup out, puree it and return it to pot as thickener
Interesting! Never heard of that. Ive only tried to make soup once. It was pretty thin after it was done (my roux didnt have enough flour) and I made the mistake of adding more flour at the end to thicken. It ended up a lumpy mess after it sat in the fridge but the day of it was really good. Ever since then I swore off making soup until I found a good recipe

Back
Top Bottom