It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Pics
Finally — it’s cold enough to get out the soup pot. Also valley trout season, so I’ve got a tomato and trout soup base simmering for a cheap n’ easy cioppino (fish stew). You usually see cioppino in restaurants with dungeness crab claws and sea scallops — and pay the price accordingly. So please forgive the shortcuts, but we’re not on a $13-per-pound crab and scallops budget around here. :oops: Also you may find you want to add more of this or that— go ahead and tweak it! That’s what cioppino was for us growing up: whatever was caught or on sale went in the pot. Though back then it was just “Grandmere’s fish stew” because the little ones couldn’t always say “cioppino”. 🥰 Really this is just good memories in a bowl for me.

Cioppino

Soup base
1 clove crushed garlic
1 tablespoon (olive or veg) oil
3 cans stewed tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 cup water
1 cube chicken or veg bouillon
2 celery stalks cut in small slices
1 skinless fish fillet

Add-ins (what do you like?)
1 skinless fish fillet
1/2 pound shelled, deveined raw shrimp
1/2 pound bay scallops
1/2 pound small clams in shell
And/Or
1/2 pound mussels in shell

Equipment
Soup pot
Soup Stirring spoon
Sharp knife for cutting celery and fish

Directions
  1. Sauté the garlic in oil for 2 minutes to release the garlic flavor.
  2. Add tomatoes, water, bay leaves, celery, bouillon, and 1 fish fillet
  3. Simmer on medium low heat for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. (The fish will “disappear” into the soup.)
  4. While the soup is simmering, cut the second fish fillet into large chunks and rinse the clams/mussels.
  5. After the soup base is done, turn up the heat to medium.
  6. When the liquid starts bubbling, add the cut fish, scallops, and clams/mussels.
  7. When the clams open, add the shrimp.
  8. Cook until the shrimp are pink.
  9. Serve nice and hot

View attachment 2411682
Ask and ye shall receive? 🤣🤣

You mentioned this in another thread and I asked what it was. Immediately after I see it in this thread :lau :lau:lau

Good afternoon everyone! Hope everyone is staying warm, safe and dry! 💞

Has anyone tried any new soup recipes?

I found a recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup, but like always, I change it to make it my own! Here is what I came up with and it was so good!

Broccoli Cheese Soup
Ingredients
    • 1 Tbls. Butter
    • 1/2 cup Onion, diced
    • 2 cloves Garlic, minced
    • 6 cups Fresh Broccoli Florets
    • 2 cups Chicken Broth/Stock
    • Salt & Pepper to taste
    • 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
    • *1/2 tsp. Sodium Citrate, optional
    • 1 cup Sharp Cheddar (100g)
    • 1/2 cup Fresh Parmesan (50g)
Steps
    • In a heavy saucepan...add butter, onion & garlic, saute until onion is caramelized.
    • Add broccoli and chicken broth...cook for about 8 minutes until tender.
    • Remove 2 or more cups of the vegetables and set aside. Using an immersion blender, blend the remaining vegetables and stock.
    • Remove from heat or turn heat to simmer.
    • Add reserved vegetables back to the pan, add cream, the Sodium Citrate (if using) and stir in the cheeses until melted.
Notes
    • You can also use carrots and/or cauliflower as a substitute for part of the broccoli!
    • Use your favorite cheese, it doesn't have to be what I used, although I think it was perfect!
    • If you like a thicker soup you can use half&half in place of the cream and make a slurry with 2Tbls flour. Slowly whisk the slurry into the soup base before adding in the reserved vegetables!
    • Sodium Citrate helps to melt the cheese to a smoother consistency!

Good afternoon everyone! Hope everyone is staying warm, safe and dry! 💞

Has anyone tried any new soup recipes?

I found a recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup, but like always, I change it to make it my own! Here is what I came up with and it was so good!

Broccoli Cheese Soup
Ingredients
    • 1 Tbls. Butter
    • 1/2 cup Onion, diced
    • 2 cloves Garlic, minced
    • 6 cups Fresh Broccoli Florets
    • 2 cups Chicken Broth/Stock
    • Salt & Pepper to taste
    • 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
    • *1/2 tsp. Sodium Citrate, optional
    • 1 cup Sharp Cheddar (100g)
    • 1/2 cup Fresh Parmesan (50g)
Steps
    • In a heavy saucepan...add butter, onion & garlic, saute until onion is caramelized.
    • Add broccoli and chicken broth...cook for about 8 minutes until tender.
    • Remove 2 or more cups of the vegetables and set aside. Using an immersion blender, blend the remaining vegetables and stock.
    • Remove from heat or turn heat to simmer.
    • Add reserved vegetables back to the pan, add cream, the Sodium Citrate (if using) and stir in the cheeses until melted.
Notes
    • You can also use carrots and/or cauliflower as a substitute for part of the broccoli!
    • Use your favorite cheese, it doesn't have to be what I used, although I think it was perfect!
    • If you like a thicker soup you can use half&half in place of the cream and make a slurry with 2Tbls flour. Slowly whisk the slurry into the soup base before adding in the reserved vegetables!
    • Sodium Citrate helps to melt the cheese to a smoother consistency!
Hug, I had no idea you could make broccoli cheese soup without Velveeta.

Back
Top Bottom