jersey giant cockerel versus cuckoo maran pullet? PICS!

rosyposyosy

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
as you might know i went in on an order with somebody, the cuckoo maran is mine, and i can abslutely NOT have a rooster. these are pics from the woman i shared the order with... (sorry they are so big)

this is the one she thinks the maran is.
lenore1.jpg

this is the one she thinks the giant is.
giant.jpg

i think she is right but i cant chance a roo, so i'm bring them to the experts (you guys)

thanks in advance

Last edited:
With the black beak for the Jersey Giant I think you are right on Rosyposey. Marans tend to have a banded beak, black band. Jerseys usually have yellow/white on the chicks, Marans are usually white. Hope you get a nice hen out of it, good luck. BTW Big pictures are better
big_smile.png

Bubba

yes, i deffinely think that the 2nd pic is a male, she just sent me another pic of his comb devolopment

this is the giant

giant1.jpg

Comb development at that age is no indicator. All my giants looked like that picture at that age and at 5 and a half weeks old, I'm just now seeing which of my 25 is the rooster (I noticed it today actually. He's even got some tiny wattles growing too, maybe 3/16 inch long and wide). Tail feathers aren't any help either, since about 75% of the 25 have tail feathers (2 are really developing bigger/faster than the rest), the other 25% barely have anything to be proud of as tails yet, heh.

@Rosy

If it doesn't cost too much, have that other person take it to the vet and see if the vet can sex it for you (just repay the lady the cost). Have her call first and see if the vet knows how, before she travels with a chick any distance.

Back
Top Bottom