Jersey giants not growing?

The-White-Elephant

Philippians 4:13
Nov 3, 2021
NC
Hey! :frow Hope you all are having a good day!

Ok. So I have 3 White Jersey giants, and I’m starting to get worried. They are about 8 months old, and they are only about the size of my RIR‘s, maybe slightly bigger. (I’ll post pics). I know they grow big and tall, and should I be worried? (They are all hens)
I added the pic with a Cochin, maybe you can get a better idea about the size.

I feed all of the hens 16% layer pellets, and a bit of whole/cracked corn (depends on which we have).

Thanks in advance for all help! @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Attachments

• C3335CCE-A821-40B9-B10D-0D3FA7A89C19.jpeg
    C3335CCE-A821-40B9-B10D-0D3FA7A89C19.jpeg
    679.6 KB · Views: 21
  • A2F932B2-B596-4820-B3BC-D35DD8D2A2FD.jpeg
    A2F932B2-B596-4820-B3BC-D35DD8D2A2FD.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 3B50CFAA-A470-45F2-A0E1-E2C133CD5F3A.jpeg
    3B50CFAA-A470-45F2-A0E1-E2C133CD5F3A.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 4A98F91E-58FA-4E73-B43F-E53AFAA9C20F.jpeg
    4A98F91E-58FA-4E73-B43F-E53AFAA9C20F.jpeg
    714.4 KB · Views: 5
If you're feeding the Giants layer feed, that could be your problem. Growing chickens need protein for skeletal growth, and layer barely has enough protein for laying hens let alone still growing pullets.

The larger breeds don't come anywhere close to being fully grown before one year. They grow a lot between age one and age two, so give them a feed higher in protein and be patient for another year.

You can safely feed an all flock feed to all your flock for the time being. Just make available oyster shell for the layers.

If you're feeding the Giants layer feed, that could be your problem. Growing chickens need protein for skeletal growth, and layer barely has enough protein for laying hens let alone still growing pullets.

The larger breeds don't come anywhere close to being fully grown before one year. They grow a lot between age one and age two, so give them a feed higher in protein and be patient for another year.

You can safely feed an all flock feed to all your flock for the time being. Just make available oyster shell for the layers.
Thank you, I‘ll try! I knew they take longer to grown, but I started worrying, so thanks so much!

Once again, Thanks so much!

I agree, I would keep them on a higher protein feed, but the "large" dual purpose Gals still seem to grow for the first 18 months or so.

Back
Top Bottom