July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

One of my July HAL chicks has gone missing. Olive, our only Olive egger, went missing sometimes between Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. We’ve had a lot of fox activity in the area recently. Chances of finding her are almost nil. My 3 year old opened the coop when we were watching fireworks (local holiday). Then I relied on my older kids and husband to herd the chicks back in. It’s very possible she was missed and left out all night. 😢

Usually losing a favorite bird sends me into a frenzy of ordering or hatching. This time I’m holding strong. No more birds until the new coop, still in planning stages, is 100% finished. I’ll just have to hope I can hatch another next year that’ll be as cool as she was.
I'm so sorry, how awful!

One of my July HAL chicks has gone missing. Olive, our only Olive egger, went missing sometimes between Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. We’ve had a lot of fox activity in the area recently. Chances of finding her are almost nil. My 3 year old opened the coop when we were watching fireworks (local holiday). Then I relied on my older kids and husband to herd the chicks back in. It’s very possible she was missed and left out all night. 😢

Usually losing a favorite bird sends me into a frenzy of ordering or hatching. This time I’m holding strong. No more birds until the new coop, still in planning stages, is 100% finished. I’ll just have to hope I can hatch another next year that’ll be as cool as she was.
Oh man, I’m so sorry! Our neighbours set off a huge set of fireworks (not just the cheapy store, the real deal) and the poor dog is now suddenly terrified of them. We’ve been up with her all night having the stress poops 😒 If you’re anywhere near Cache Valley, I’m planning on hatching olive eggers before fall and don’t mind raising them to coop ready

@OzarkCountryGirl , you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of candling guinea eggs on Day 24, would you? I can't find any online, and I think my humidity is too high. :barnie
Sorry, no, I didn't even think to take photos when I candles them. I used a Little Giant Styrofoam incubator and my humidity during incubation fluctuated between 25 and 45% and anywhere between 65% and 81% during lockdown. And sorry it's taken so long to reply as I've been a bit under the weather for the past few days...but much better now, nearly back to 100%. 🙂

Attachments

• 20220722_143126.jpg
    20220722_143126.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 1

I am so sorry!!!
Little babies, humans n chickies, are so precious but it does happen.

@OzarkCountryGirl hoping you feel better asap!

I do hope she's okay. My son thought he lost one of his young hens (was just at point of lay) when she vanished without a trace. He was sure either the resident hawk, an owl, or one of the foxes got her. Then one afternoon, almost 2 months later, he was looking out the kitchen window and there she was in the yard scratching around with the others, like she'd never left. It was the weirdest thing.

Eight...yes 8!...full days after the first guinea hatched, this one decided to make an appearance. I had candled the remaing eggs after 2 days of no more hatching or pips and saw just the tiniest bit of movement in this one egg. So I left it alone and waited...and waited...and waited.... IMHO, it's the prettiest keet of the entire clutch, full of energy, and definitely worth the wait. ❤

Attachments

• 20220725_174557.jpg
    20220725_174557.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 1
Eight...yes 8!...full days after the first guinea hatched, this one decided to make an appearance. I had candled the remaing eggs after 2 days of no more hatching or pips and saw just the tiniest bit of movement in this one egg. So I left it alone and waited...and waited...and waited.... IMHO, it's the prettiest keet of the entire clutch, full of energy, and definitely worth the wait. ❤
Wow...that's amazing! Congratulations on the lil guy!

How wonderful! It is a cutie. It's great that you waited for it!

I'm sorry to hear you've been ill and so glad you're feeling better now.

Back
Top Bottom