July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.2%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 60 34.9%

• Total voters
Pics
I'll upload a picture of what I did for now. Can't get chicken wire either, but we had some of the big hole kind in the barn. You can kind of see in this picture. It's not ideal, but I put a portable electric fence around it and put the cockerels that we're causing trouble in it.

View attachment 2221873
I want to build one of those, too. I plan to cover it with a big tarp we were using for other purposes. It got pretty beat up, but it will do for now. I think we'll have plenty for two layers. Would you mind posting a few more pics if you have them? I'd really appreciate seeing more of what you've done. 💐

You’ve only hatched twice 😂
Good morning all. I'm a little bit :rantMy eggs were supposed to ship Monday but they didn't until yesterday :barnieThe good news is hubs didn't realize the incubator is running. He has no idea I bought these eggs, hopefully I'll just get a headshake and not a bunch of flack.

@KDOGG331 you could have used the time your gal was off the nest to mark the eggs you're going to let her hatch. When you see her out and about do it then so you don't freak that poor girl out!
Yes. You NEED to mark them right now. Go out and do it--it will only take a moment. Don't let them get spread out any more (three days max) or the hatch will go on too long and she will abandon the late ones. I carry a sharpie always (for this purpose among other things). Go now. It will only take a few minutes.
Don’t tell her to bug that hen again :th
Put on the date of the middle or last eggs. It's approximate anyway, depending on how your hen incubates. If you have several hens sitting, I also put on the name or description of the hen. (for example BA if its a Black Australorp or "Cass" if the hen is named Cassidy). You probably don't need more than the date, though. That way you'll know whether it's a good idea to give Isolde's eggs to Cassidy if Isolde is not proving to be smart enough to stay on the correct nest, etc.

Actually, it's a very good idea for SO many reasons to provide each broody with her own small suite--both for brooding and for the chicks' first month or so. That way you can keep the other birds from stealing the chick food (they seem to love it best--at least mine do) and keep the little family from going out on wet mornings/days and so on. A dog crate and a tiny run will suffice. I built this one and need to make a couple more:

View attachment 2221922View attachment 2221920View attachment 2221921
To put in the food and water I just lift it up and slide it under the run. I was going to make a wire door but I kept putting it off--I've decided I like it better this way. More secure, easier to add feed, etc., easier build, less hardware & won't slice up my arm using it.
I agree. I wrote this before reading all the harassment stuff. :barnie
Chicken Paparazzi :lau
@KDOGG331 is your chicken sitting on the eggs now?

Look from the window LOL
:lau :gig :lau you guys are killin me!!! She is still on the nest! :woot I actually meant to mark the eggs yesterday while she was off but then I got so distracted by her 😂🤣 so should I just not mark or move her now??? I was thinking of just blocking off the nest box and letting her out once or twice a day? The boxes are pretty huge so it wouldn’t really be cramped or anything. I also have a dog crate I thought about using but it might be a bit big for my coop. I could use the coop/pen the current chicks are in too but I would need to move them first ha I think I’ll leave her be for now 😂🤣 I don’t want to risk harassing her too much in the early days and having her abandon the eggs. But I will mark them and/or block the nest off tonight so she doesn’t get any more.

Is there a thread here about raising & drying mealworms? If not, would you mind sharing your knowlege with us? I know it's something I would love to learn about. Anything I can do to not buy from China, I'm all for it!
There’s companies online you can buy them from because a lot of people raise them for reptiles. You don’t even need to dry them... my birds much prefer them live and wiggly! :D

I personally love Rainbow Mealworms and have gotten the chicken pack from them before which is a good mix but they have all sorts of other ones too.

https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/

I want to build one of those, too. I plan to cover it with a big tarp we were using for other purposes. It got pretty beat up, but it will do for now. I think we'll have plenty for two layers. Would you mind posting a few more pics if you have them? I'd really appreciate seeing more of what you've done. 💐
Yes, of course! I am basing it on these plans. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ms-biddys-cattle-panel-hoop-coop.73755/ We added wheels and aren't doing the nest box for now since it's for boys. Lots of this and that going into it. Will snap some pictures when we get home in a bit.

We had a tarp on it too for a bit, but my goofy birds were terrified when it flapped in the wind and it usually ended in a fight as these guys are so flighty. :wee

There’s companies online you can buy them from because a lot of people raise them for reptiles. You don’t even need to dry them... my birds much prefer them live and wiggly! :D

I personally love Rainbow Mealworms and have gotten the chicken pack from them before which is a good mix but they have all sorts of other ones too.

https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/
I am unashamedly new at this! Thanks so much for this info. I will certainly be ordering from them in the coming weeks!

Is there a thread here about raising & drying mealworms? If not, would you mind sharing your knowlege with us? I know it's something I would love to learn about. Anything I can do to not buy from China, I'm all for it!

You can freeze them to kill them then thaw them out then dehydrate them in the oven or a dehydrator

http://www.sialis.org/raisingmealworms.htm

Back
Top Bottom