June 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
Ok guys, I know I said I’m done hatching chickens for the year, but my neighbor just called in a panic. Her hen has been sitting for about 3 weeks, she was super mean and agressive when she tried to remove her a few times so she just let her sit. She finally caught her off the nest and said the poor thing looks terrible…

She grabbed the eggs and brought them to me. (She doesn’t have a candler or incubator). 9 are viable. I’m going to try to hatch them for her, but I don’t know when to start lockdown. A few eggs look like they have been growing for a week, so I’ll hand them them. The others look much further along but I can’t tell how far. If any hatch, she’s going to sneak them under the momma at night.

Here are some pics:
I am terrible with figuring out how far eggs are. But that first one looks close. Looks almost full and like the air cells is drawing down.

Need to hatch some!

Then keep them a couple of weeks before they go into their 'ugly duckling' phase, lol!

Oh, who am I kidding, there's no such thing!
Lol I want to hatch them so bad. But don't know if I could sell them easy here. And I don't want to buy eggs and lose $ just to hatch. I may see if anyone would let me hatch for them and give them the ducklings after. Lol

Lol I want to hatch them so bad. But don't know if I could sell them easy here. And I don't want to buy eggs and lose $ just to hatch. I may see if anyone would let me hatch for them and give them the ducklings after. Lol
Could always keep some? :oops:

Welsh Harlequins and Khaki Campbells are renown for their egg laying, and the WH are auto-sexing at hatch.

I am terrible with figuring out how far eggs are. But that first one looks close. Looks almost full and like the air cells is drawing down.
That’s what I thought too. I organized them into 4 groups from what I thought was most developed to least developed. I don’t think I will turn the ones I think are most…will turn the ones that are least developed until I see a pip. I am only using 1 incubator (the rest are cleaned and stored away), so it is what it js. Just giving these babies one last shot as she was going to toss them…will give any hatches back to her broody at night and keep fingers crossed…no separation just letting that part happen as it may..,

I’m coming late to the June hatch along party— I thought this was something I had to sign up for, set on a certain date and use an incubator.
Anyway, first time ever hatch and I have 3 viable eggs out of 7 under a persistently broody hen with staggered hatch dates in their final 5 days. Saturday there was an internal pip, last night externally pipped and this morning a little beak is sticking out moving 🤗. No pics- sorry. momma hen was no allowing much inspection time.
Two more eggs to go! :fl
Momma is in a coveted nest and two other hens go in while mom is out. I don’t want to move mom until baby 1 hatches, then I’m moving her to a floor nest in a corner. Hope she won’t be mad and abandon them, but I have a plan for that, too.
I’m so proud that my rooster had his first baby pip on Father’s day.

I’m coming late to the June hatch along party— I thought this was something I had to sign up for, set on a certain date and use an incubator.
Anyway, first time ever hatch and I have 3 viable eggs out of 7 under a persistently broody hen with staggered hatch dates in their final 5 days. Saturday there was an internal pip, last night externally pipped and this morning a little beak is sticking out moving 🤗. No pics- sorry. momma hen was no allowing much inspection time.
Two more eggs to go! :fl
Momma is in a coveted nest and two other hens go in while mom is out. I don’t want to move mom until baby 1 hatches, then I’m moving her to a floor nest in a corner. Hope she won’t be mad and abandon them, but I have a plan for that, too.
I’m so proud that my rooster had his first baby pip on Father’s day.
Welcome, and congratulations!

My own last (?) batch of incubator eggs started hatching yesterday. Due today although I think I snuck in a few eggs earlier so that would make sense. So far, two babies have hatched (chicks this time).

I still have my broody Muscovy and ducks out on their nests, which will be due *I think* by the end of the month or start of next month.

I need to start markings things down better.

Welcome, and congratulations!

My own last (?) batch of incubator eggs started hatching yesterday. Due today although I think I snuck in a few eggs earlier so that would make sense. So far, two babies have hatched (chicks this time).

I still have my broody Muscovy and ducks out on their nests, which will be due *I think* by the end of the month or start of next month.

I need to start markings things down better.
I’ve been reading the thread since Saturday—I give all of you a lot of credit because it’s a lot of blood sweat and tears for sure!
And I agree that ducklings are soooo cute!

I’ve been reading the thread since Saturday—I give all of you a lot of credit because it’s a lot of blood sweat and tears for sure!
And I agree that ducklings are soooo cute!
It's an addiction! If I had the room and funds, I'd have many many more incubators going, lol!

Yes, yes they are :D 🦆

Back
Top Bottom