Just learning how to raise ducks

Bentleyriot

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2024
So we just bought 4 runner duck just about a week ago from our tractor supply any tips

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 44
Well Runners live up to their name, Mine do everything together most of the time walking or running in single file up to the top of their property, They are busy little things and they love to forage. They love water and they love to eat. lol. They are great egg layers And their eggs are very tasty. They will need to have a supplement of oyster shells once they begin to lay even if fed Layer feed. The oyster shells goes into a separate container close to their feed and they will use it as needed. They begin to lay anywhere from 4.5 months to 5 month old.
I can pick up a few of mine for cuddles but most of them prefer not to be touched but will eat out of my hand. They are too busy for that kind of thing like cuddles. lol
My oldest Runners just turned 8 yrs old and then I have 3 that are 4-5 yrs and then my babies are 7 months old yes once you get Runners you never have enough. I do have other breeds too and they are all one big happy family.
When ducklings they need to be supplemented with niacin for strong healthy legs many of us use Nutritional yeast the dose is 1 Tablespoon over each cup of feed to serve. This should be used until they are at least 10-12 weeks old. You can use it longer I still give mine some over their feed every other day.
If you have other questions please ask many of us have Runners and love talking about them.

Thank you so much so when should they go outside and when we got them the guy said all 4 should be female should we have a male

Are you able to take them out now for some outside time? If just a little over a week old if temps are warm say 65 and above and no wind they can be outside with supervision for maybe 15-30 minutes you can tell by how they act if they are cold. If they aren't they will be exploring and having fun if cold they will lay down and huddle. I think you'll be able to tell. Make sure not let them get wet at the age they are now. If you want them to play in water do it inside and keep the water warm start with just to top of their legs and then gradually over many days make it deeper until they are swimming and diving they will have a blast and it is so much fun to watch . Always supervise and when done pat dry and put them back under heat. This will also get them to start preening and getting their fluff water proofed.
I'll say this you need to wait before thinking about adding a drake more than likely you'll have one or maybe more in that little group you have now.

Last edited:
Just a update: the duck are doing great.we did have a miss-hap last we, as we took them outside for a walk our 6 year old triped and fell on one of the baby ducks. He took a normally gash to the side of his head but a few days away from others and so antibiotics he spent the night with the other 3 last night

Back
Top Bottom