Keeping a watchful and documented eye on a newly born Muscovy clutch

Pics
October 11th: (Day 30, 6 ducklings) :celebrate:woot

One entire month. Most ducklings and clutches in the wild get decimated by this time yet here we are with a mama duck that helped six babies survive to the crucial one month mark. They certainly aren't out of the woods (lol) but its time to celebrate and look back on the journey but first...pics!

Babies resting in the bushes away from harms way.

IMG_5341.JPEG

Eventually they came out and greeted me.

IMG_5337.JPEG

They must've just found some serious grub and thats why they were chilling in the bushes lol, That crop is FULL

IMG_5345.JPEG

Mama duck let me pet one with a few fingers and didn't mind. The baby looked at me like "Where food?" lol

pet.PNG

And thus the one month documentary is complete and now month two begins. I'll post some periodic updates every few days and let everyone know how they are doing.

Big shoutout to mama duck. I think she deserves a round of applause for the amazing job she did despite all that happened.

Big mama.PNG

Summary of events:

September 11th: 10 babies born, No eggs left unhatched.
September 12th: Mama duck brings the babies out to the lake for some water and then back to the nest once rain hit
September 14th: All 10 babies are now roaming around with mama
September 16th: Hawks fly above babies but don't attack as Mama and I stand guard
September 17th: Mama loses a baby and wants nothing to do with anyone
September 19th: Mama and Ducklings go off on a big adventure and they are MIA on the lake
September 20th: Mama duck leads babies from bush to bush as they roam the lake
September 22nd: Ducklings begin to recognize me and waddle up to me. Mama duck much less nervous around me as well
September 23rd: Eagle stalks Duck family but wisely stays away. Baby got temporarily stuck on the embankment.
September 25th: Babies learn what a pecking order is
September 26th: Mama and Ducklings survive hurricane. They got blown away a bit but I was able to grab them and keep them near mama duck. Mama duck lost her trust in me when I grabbed them to save them.
September 27th: Mama loses a baby. Down to 8 and still distrusts me
September 28th: Ducklings run fast up to me and all is well with mama duck
September 29th: Huge attack on babies. Mama gets injured and has a really bad limp. Ducklings get scattered but I with the help of some others recover them and bring them back to mama. In the event, She lost one. Down to 7.
September 30th: Mama duck receives medicine to help her heal
October 3rd: Ducklings become noticeably bigger and mama duck keeps them alive despite a bum leg
October 4th: Mama duck recovers from her injury and is mostly back to normal
October 6th: mama duck takes ducklings completely across lake for a big adventure
October 9th: One duckling has head injury. Does not make it through the day. Down to 6.
October 10th: Ducklings turn on human and bite them. :eek:
October 11th: One month alive. Mama and Ducklings let human pet them

Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony

October 19th: (Day 38, 6 ducklings)

Ducklings doing well and getting bigger. I think we are finally about to grow some feathers!

Hangin' with the troops

IMG_5549.JPEG

Mama turns her back and their devious plan goes into action

IMG_5552.JPEG

ATTACK!!!!!!

IMG_5551.JPEG

No humans were harmed in the filming of this gruesome attack.

A day later their blockade for food is enacted. I cannot proceed without paying the treat tax.

IMG_5516.JPEG

Well gee... I guess mom isn't cool anymore. 🫤

IMG_5558.JPEG

I suspect next update might include some feathering

Back
Top Bottom