Kentucky people

Quote:
I have some week old Dominique chicks. Very cute, gentle breed. I am in Upton. Not to far away. Could probably meet you in E-town tomorrow.

Quote:
I have 3 chicks that hatched yeasterday.. wyandottes. We live just up the road from you in Eastview, just past Howevalley.

Kyhen Wrote:

Jen4 wrote:

frow Kyhen... I'm in Hart County too right by you. Priceville, but they consider us Munfordville hu

frow.gif
Hello Neighbor.
We just got a little rain. I was beginning to forget what rain looked like. LOL​

I know... that was a nice little rain, actually I cant remember the last time we got rain, lol. Our ducks were out there lovin it.​

Quote:
frow.gif
Hello Neighbor.
We just got a little rain. I was beginning to forget what rain looked like. LOL

I know... that was a nice little rain, actually I cant remember the last time we got rain, lol. Our ducks were out there lovin it.

I am so glad the rain finally came. BTW I am just down the road from you all near Park City.

I kind of have another question/observation. I have one 7 week old chick with no broody who keeps insisting on getting back into the brooder pen with three momma hens and their chicks. It's not too big a deal. But the observation concern of mine is the momma hens and their chicks. I have two different kinds of chick feed for the little ones and the momma hens tend to ignore it for the most part. They keep insisting that the little ones pick and scratch throught the deep litter and eat that. Now if they were not healthy and growing like weeds I would be really concerned. I know that some of the feed is being eaten but no sure how much.

I use the deep litter method because it is supposed to be as healthy as free ranging your chickens with vitamins and minerals and who knows what all growing in that medium but these momma hens are just tearing up the eight to twelve inches of litter on a daily basis. You would think they were ground hogs or earth movers with the amout of litter being moved on a daily basis.

Another problem is that with the little ones I had to put the water directly on the top of the deep litter instead of on an eight inch concrete block. As a result it gets filled with litter daily. They scratch a tiny hold in the litter and drink from there. Again, if they were not so healthy and energetic I would probably be freaking out more than I am. Well, not freaking out, just a bit concerned. But all three of the broody hens/ momma hens are doing this, so it must be okay.
]

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Here in a month or so I will do my yearly cleaning out of about half of the deep litter and put in a couple bags of fresh wood chips to absorb the amonia during the winter months, but with the chicks and the momma hens doing this behavior, I think I should wait for at least several more additional weeks.

The white cornish hen took her two young one out of the nest. There were three hatched out egg shells but only two chicks!? No body, no chick, no clue!?

Wel'p, that's all from my side of the coop. Hope things are going well on your side.

Hi all you KY people!!! I am in louisville and have 15 bantams. also i am looking for brown red bantam hens and/or roosters if they are really nice. I am also looking for Golden neck d'uccles. Please message me on here if you have any or know where i can pick some up. thanks all

Back
Top Bottom