Lady Amherst Pheasents... when do they lay!?

Bayrider16

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
Im getting Lady Amherst pheasents, and im going to breed them. I'm getting them as juveniles and want to breed them right away. They should arrive about February or March. Keep in mind I'm in Iowa... We have twenty chickens so my dads worried about the cost of feed, so I told him I can breed them and sell chicks to make up for the cost of feed. But when do they lay? Is there a certain breeding and laying season, or do they lay year-round? I would like somebody with experience or a lady amherst breeder to respond. Also I have heard they layonly six eggs a month and Ive also heard they lay ten a month.

You'll never make a profit from them, but last year we got $70 some dollars from 7 chicks and a dozen eggs I think. That did cover feed from from the breeding season. They'll lay any time during spring and summer. Usually starting April/May and last til June. But I've gotten random eggs throughout summer. The hen's will lay an egg every 2 or 3 days. But I've had this pattern interrupted buy them going broody.

Feb and March are their courtship times.You may push back their laying season until they feel comfortable with their new surroundings.Before you get them you should have their pen all set up for them to lay so you don't have to disturb them again.They regularly start laying in late April early May.As for profit,you will never recover all your cost,but you get the priveledge of raising nice birds.If you can get 2 or 3 hens as the males can(not will) get aggressive.Why can't you get them earlier so they will be ready for laying season?Are you looking for any other species?
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom