Landrace/adaptive breeding discussion

Pics
In a sense. I feel those that don't struggle with the heat are more likely to survive here long term.

While not a cause for culling, it's something I need to keep an eye on.

In a sense. I feel those that don't struggle with the heat are more likely to survive here long term.

While not a cause for culling, it's something I need to keep an eye on.
How hot is it where you are?

Here in north Florida, the heat index has been over 100°F for well past a month with no rain. The chickens should be panting, spreading their wings, and laying up in the shade. Some of mine have even taken to laying in pond mud. My oriental gamefowl are the first to start spreading their wings and panting, and they're probably the most supremely adapted chickens to extreme heat than all.

IMG_0001.jpeg

#10 has appeared with an unknown number of chicks. This brood should be very interesting because she’s half-Fayoumi.

We had a heavy rain yesterday evening, the first for many of these chicks. So far no obvious losses. #9 has lost some chicks but that may have happened prior to the storm. I saw her before the storm
and it seems like she had fewer chicks, but I did not think much of it. She has about 8 now.

IMG_9998.jpeg

Many of the mommas are staying out in the blueberries. Possibly at night, but if not, definitely moving into them at daylight and not caring to stay close to the farmyard for me to throw out the daily feed ration.

IMG_0017.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom