Large female coyote

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
Last autumn/early winter a deer hunter shot a female coyote on my property (located in West central NJ). She was relatively thin but stretched across the tailgate of his truck. Initially I thought that he had shot someone's dog. I ran into him yesterday and asked what she weighed - 54 lbs.
ep.gif
I never gave a lot of credibility to the coywolf talk, but that girl was not pure coyote. I would guess that in good flesh she would weigh another 5 or 10 pounds. What's the largest 'coyote' that you have heard of ?

You got my curiosity up Sour. According to the Adirondack Ecological Center, "Averaged-sized adult coyotes are about 122 cm (48 in) in total length, and weigh 10.9-17.7 kg (24-39 lb). Males are heavier than females. There are a few records of Adirondack coyotes weighing 22.7-25 kg (50-55 lb). A 33.9 kg (74.8 lb) coyote, taken in the state of Wyoming, represents the maximum weight."

ep.gif

Dang!

Last autumn/early winter a deer hunter shot a female coyote on my property (located in West central NJ). She was relatively thin but stretched across the tailgate of his truck. Initially I thought that he had shot someone's dog. I ran into him yesterday and asked what she weighed - 54 lbs.
ep.gif
I never gave a lot of credibility to the coywolf talk, but that girl was not pure coyote. I would guess that in good flesh she would weigh another 5 or 10 pounds. What's the largest 'coyote' that you have heard of ?
I never see a coyote in my life. If I saw one, I would die already. You human have a lot of privilege. Just enjoy it.

Your chickens must be very grateful to the hunter. I know I would be, as well as my girls. Possums are enough to deal with for us, and the occasional rat. Removed at least 2 dozen possums last year from our urban area. Also got one that was living in my neighbor's kitchen wall. Sorry, but I had no mercy when I caught a possum in my coop with a hen in his mouth in the middle of the night. The hen is fine by the way, still laying well. Can't say as much for the possum.

Your chickens must be very grateful to the hunter. I know I would be, as well as my girls. Possums are enough to deal with for us, and the occasional rat. Removed at least 2 dozen possums last year from our urban area. Also got one that was living in my neighbor's kitchen wall. Sorry, but I had no mercy when I caught a possum in my coop with a hen in his mouth in the middle of the night. The hen is fine by the way, still laying well. Can't say as much for the possum.
It was scary. Yes, I am grateful to hunters, as long as they don't eat me.

We have a feral cat who has lived here for 7 years. She progressed from more terrified than any of the wild creatures to approaching within several feet of me. All this over the span of 7 years; however, she always remained on high alert. Once the coyote was killed she became progressively more bold until she eventually made contact with me. She now acts like an almost pet. Her story is told in the thread, "Ivermectin use in cats". There's even a picture of her and her handsome caretaker.

We have a feral cat who has lived here for 7 years. She progressed from more terrified than any of the wild creatures to approaching within several feet of me. All this over the span of 7 years; however, she always remained on high alert. Once the coyote was killed she became progressively more bold until she eventually made contact with me. She now acts like an almost pet. Her story is told in the thread, "Ivermectin use in cats". There's even a picture of her and her handsome caretaker.
7 years!! you are so patient. I even can't live that long. My mama feed two cats. one lives in our back yard now,but another one still keeps distances from her. It's only about 6 months.
7 years!!! I hate it. It's too long.

Back
Top Bottom