Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
What does everyone think of some of the babies I hatched out? I was only able to get 6 hatched (only 4 survived) from the parents I owned. I had 6 cochins (1 rooster and 5 hens) but a raccoon came and killed all but one blue hen... So far I really like the dark blue girl. She is the oldest out of all of them by at least 2 months. The splash cockerel still has a lot of filling out to do but I think he will be big like his daddy. Are any of them potential show birds? I am guessing the dark blue girl will be good enough to show. The others are still a bit young but if there are any seasoned cochin enthusiasts here that can steer me in the right direction please teach me and share your wisdom! :)

The gang in the "growing" pen with some of my silver laced wyandotte cockerels.

Splash cockerel.

The girls chowing down

The big blue girl that I think is coming along nicely. Here back feathers a bit rough at the moment.

Splash boy playing "chase me" with the wyandottes

Black pullet

Other blue pullet

@ mjgigac: I like the buff female, nice color she has. I also like the broadness of her head.... If she is a young one from 2012 it is really special to have a head on such a young one.

Thx for the compliments on my barred ones. Really happy with them too and planning on getting lots of young ones of them.
Because I like the good, round and heavy type on the male I've put him now against my silver laced females. Very curious what will become of this. What do you think?

Wow! I have never seen Silver laced cochins as nice as these! I have seen a few but either their lacing is absolutely horrible or their lacing is okay and their type is dereadful. Great work! Wish I could get some from you :)

My understanding is that Splash is not an accepted color for LF Cochins SOP (yet anyway). So the Roo is a no go on showing. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
hu.gif

What does everyone think of some of the babies I hatched out? I was only able to get 6 hatched (only 4 survived) from the parents I owned. I had 6 cochins (1 rooster and 5 hens) but a raccoon came and killed all but one blue hen... So far I really like the dark blue girl. She is the oldest out of all of them by at least 2 months. The splash cockerel still has a lot of filling out to do but I think he will be big like his daddy. Are any of them potential show birds? I am guessing the dark blue girl will be good enough to show. The others are still a bit young but if there are any seasoned cochin enthusiasts here that can steer me in the right direction please teach me and share your wisdom! :)

The gang in the "growing" pen with some of my silver laced wyandotte cockerels.

Splash cockerel.

The girls chowing down

The big blue girl that I think is coming along nicely. Here back feathers a bit rough at the moment.

Splash boy playing "chase me" with the wyandottes

Black pullet

Other blue pullet

Splash or any other non-standarized variety can be shown at an APA sanctioned show but the rules state they may only win up to Best of Variety awards and are not eligible for Best of Breed or Champion Asiatic. Showing non-standardized varieties is how interest is developed in the variety and when more breeders begin working with them then a qualifying meet can be scheduled, of course a standard description would have to be written for the variety if one does not already exist. I have seen splash birds shown at National shows as well as mottleds and neither is in the SOP.

Bo

Bo-
Will you be going to the Rison, Arkansas show the beginning of March?
Maddi,
I am not familiar with the show in Rison and not really sure where Rison is. I will probably try to go to El Dorado, AR if I have some bantams still in condition, I have some friends over there that I have not seen in some time and need to give them a visit. I'll let you know as the time nears. Hope that big boy and girl are laying some eggs for you to hatch.

Blessings,

Bo

Back
Top Bottom