Lavender Orpington opinions on gender at 7 weeks

dvschkn

Hatching
Jun 14, 2024
Can anyone who knows this breed tell if this is a cockerel or pullet? I’m thinking male but want confirmation before trying to find it another home, since I can’t have roosters in my city. Thanks in advance
IMG_6364.jpeg

IMG_6363.jpeg

Of all breeds you can't act that fast with LO's, they'll keep you guessing longer than most. Do a forum search. There is one that kept even the best guessing for about 5 months. The 2 in my avatar are a comparison pullet and cockerel. I didn't know for sure that he was a he until 11 weeks.... What is making you think male?

The face is red for that age for a pullet, as well as the waddles already being formed. But the comb is pretty small for a cockerel at that age. I have never owned Lavender Orpingtons but I do have Buff Orpingtons and the cockerels showed pretty early on, but that does not mean that the lavenders do.

Thanks for your perspectives. Yes I have looked at many pictures on this forum and mostly the pullets have small yellow combs at this age and little to no wattles.

The wattles are pretty developed and red on this one, has been there since 5 weeks, which makes me lean roo. But I agree the comb is not as big as some others pics I’ve seen at 7 weeks.

I appreciate the feedback about this being a slower developing breed, I will give it more time!

Back
Top Bottom