Lemon Blue & Brown Red OEGB

Apr 18, 2021
I ordered some Lemon Blue's and some Brown Reds from a hatchery, they arrived unexpectedly (without notice) on the 27th!! I finally got my OEGB & SilkiesI've been waiting for.... One problem... I ordered LEmon Blue OEGB and Brown Red OEGB. Anyone who breeds the LB knows that you receive 50% LB 25% Brown Red, and 25% Sport. I have 1 Sport I'm crossing my fingers is a cockerel. I've got 2 Lemon Blues whom I'm hoping I get a male and female pair. Then I've got two LB Brown Reds. IS there a way to tell the difference between an LB-BR vs a normal BR. I really don't want to do DNA testing, or trying to breed them around to figure it out. Because I know the LB-BR does still carry the LB gene. At this point, I wish I ordered 6-8 Lemon Blue's rather than 5. Because I didn't think I'd only get 2 Lemon Blues. But I'm honestly happy with what I got either way. They seem to be pretty good quality. Sure the Lemon Blues are a little too dark for my liking. But they are already turning out beautiful at only 6 days old!! IF all fails and I cannot somehow figure out my two secret LB birds if I bred the LB Sport to the LB's, is there a percentage on how many Sports, & Lemon Blue's I get. & would I still receive BR?

Also, is there a certain pairing I can do to create more Lemon Blues. I've heard crossing Blue Reds, to Brown Reds, but not sure if that is true. But a future project I would love to breed some BR OEGB to some Golden Duckwing Phoenix one day for some long tails.
I've fallen in love with Game Fowl and I'm really close to possibly getting some American Game within the next few years. & I might add on some Shamo & maybe Spangled, Plye, or even Blue Red OEGB nxt year or so. As I do want to become a breeder. When I turn 18 next year, I'm hoping to also become NPIP certified and try starting a business for breeding.

Lemon Blue follows the genetics of blue, black, splash.

No copies of the blue gene = Brown Red
One copy of the blue gene = Lemon Blue
Two copies of the blue gene = Lemon Splash (or "sport")

A Brown Red that comes from Lemon Blue breeding is that exact same as another Brown Red. Brown Reds from LB breedings are not split for Lemon Blue.

Pair Combinations
LB x LB = 25% BR, 50% LB, 25% LS
LB x BR = 50% BR, 50% LB
LB x LS = 50% LB, 50% LS
BR x LS = 100% LB
LS x LS = 100% LS

Is the difference that brown reds are red birchen while the “brown reds” coming from lemon blue breeding are gold birchen? @nicalandia
If there is a difference regular brown reds will be darker.
The are the same except for blue, blue and splash dilutes the gold pigment on a birchen ER background

Back
Top Bottom