Lets talk about goats!

Who told you that? First of all, it would depend a lot on the quality of browse they have available. A lot of browse is low in protein. I would allow access to browse but I would also feed hay free choice. The better the browse the less hay they will eat. As for grain, any good dairy cow ration will do. Just be sure it does not contain urea. How much grain to feed depends on the condition of the goats and how much they are milking. The rule of thumb is about one pound of grain for every two pounds of milk. Go to caprinesupply.com and buy a book on care of goats. Or you could go to amazon.com. You ought to be able to find a book suitable for beginners at either place..

If they are milking they will need additional feeding. It takes a lot of calories to make milk. Not feeding them will either cause them to produce a great deal less milk and/or cause them to lose weight rapidly.

Hay should be made available. Wet, damp morning grass and browse will cause frothy bloat. So they need to at least get some hay in the morning while dew dries.

Thank you both for replying. I have read two books and watched videos as well as read information on the net about raising goats. None of which stated not to feed the goats in the summer because they can browse so I figured this couldn't be true. Also I have never seen Roy not feed his goats in all the times I have been to his farm. I'm not really sure how my husband came to this determination out of discussion but I think it was with another farmer he was speaking with who has boar goats not milking goats.
Thank you for mentioning the problem with the wet/damp morning grass I would have never thought of that because I don't recall reading it anywhere. I've still got pages and pages to read on this forum so I will probably come across it. I'll make sure the goats are not out before 10am so I know the grass is dry. I'll also not let them browse in the canopy area I believe it stays wet most of the time.

I had to do a lot of research on the goat feed because I have gluten allergies. I've had to deal with so much pain even from "gluten free" products that we moved to this 7 acres so I could grow my own food. We started with the chickens which happily live on free ranging and lots of gluten free seed/feed. My goat feed mix came from two articles on the net from others that fed gluten free feed to their milk goats along with help from our vet.
One thing suggested by our vet and Roy the man we are purchasing the goats from is to be very careful about major changes with their feed. So, I have purchased goat rations to start the goats on when they arrive ( same rations Roy feeds). I will slowly decrease the pre-mixed goat rations while adding the gluten free mix I have designed. (I've already had the feed mill mix it for me).
I am wondering though by what % should I decrease the goat rations by while replacing with my gluten free mix? I am thinking every 4 or 5 days? Do you think this might be too soon? A lot of my gluten free mix has the same things in it as the goat rations just not the wheat, rye, and barley. Roy wasn't sure about this because he's never changed the feed for his goats. I forgot to ask the vet the last time I was there. So I thought I would ask here and see what time frame you all would suggest.

As for hay: I am happy to say we have a nice field area with a good mix in it. Not sure what it is other then not really having wheat, rye, or barley but when the farmer that's going to bail it came to look he said it would be really good for goats and the only thing lacking is the alfalfa. I've already taken care of the alfalfa problem by purchasing bails of alfalfa from another farmer that does not plant wheat, rye or barley on his farm.
I'm thinking about getting one of the plant identification books to help me determine what is safe for my goats to browse and what isn't. Do you have any suggestions for a book?
thank you for all your help =). I better get back to my pages of reading so I can get caught up on goats here.

How much room do goats need. Shelter? Pen? Is it the same for Pygmy goats?

That depends how many you have and if you are feeding supplemental hay. 2 pygmy goats will be happy in a 30'x30' pen, with an 8'x8' run in, but you would need to feed supplemental hay. Larger goats, saanens, lamanchas, nubians, toggenburg, ect will need much larger, even if you plan on feeding supplemental hay. Obviously, the happiest goats are those kept on acres of lush pasture, but they will do great in pens with smaller spaces. Probably 400-450 sq ft per pygmy and 800-1000 sq ft per larger goat. I know a woman who keeps 4 pygmies in a 6 x 12 pen. Would i recommend it? No. But they are happy and healthy.

My nubians just run round the yard. lol They were bottle babies and have never gone anywhere in their 8 golden years. I love putting the horses out to pasture and being followed by my 2 girls. They love scratches.

Just got a new goat he is a 3 week old Nigerian dwarf who is bottle fed! Such a sweet little guy!

I need help! My new goat has the runs!? He is bottle fed his mothers milk about 12oz 3-4x aday has free access to hay and water. He has been this way for like 6 hours! Anybody have any experience with this?

How old is he and how much does he weigh? What color is the diarrhea and does it have an odor?
I need help! My new goat has the runs!? He is bottle fed his mothers milk about 12oz 3-4x aday has free access to hay and water. He has been this way for like 6 hours! Anybody have any experience with this?

Last edited:
How old is he and how much does he weigh? What color is the diarrhea and does it have an odor? 

He is approx 4 weeks about 12lbs normal brown poo and smells like normal stinky goat droppings i did just get him Monday afternoon, so im hoping he is just adjusting? But he us my first goat and i dont want to leave room for error! There is a pic if him half way up page with my son yesterday morning.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom