LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

Heard a commotion in the coop.
Turns out one of the broody hens decide she wanted all the eggs including the freshly laid egg from our Muscovy duck Blue so they were going at it. It was weird seeing this small Serama hen attacking this big duck.
I took care of it and moved her to our brooder coop to keep her from attacking anyone else.

She just died!!!!

I'm utterly distraught. I was sitting with the chicks, Peanut was eating, drinking, walking around - looking so much better than yesterday. Then, all of a sudden, she walked a few steps fell over, flapped her wings and went limp. I picked her up and tried to revive her. She couldn't stand or do anything. Within a few minutes she was gone.

I just can't fathom what happened. My coop cam caught the whole thing and it is just bizarre how she seemed totally fine, and then totally not within seconds. Grief stricken doesn't even begin to describe how I feel.

Perhaps she had a weak heart from the beginning and this coccidiosis and treatment was too much. I'm absolutely flummoxed.
Thank you for the sympathy. I'm exhausted. After last night, and seeing that she seemed so much better this morning, I just can't believe the series of events that unfolded in the last couple days.

Yes, I think you're right that she had some type of weakness from the start (she definitely was one of the smallest) and this illness pushed over the edge. I just feel awful. As I'm only in my 2nd year as a chicken lady, I've only dealt with one other death and that was a hawk and my hen was a year old. Seeing what happened with this baby was heartbreaking in a totally different way.

She was the sweetest little thing. The ONLY one who wasn't afraid of me in the first weeks. She was always the first to jump up on my lap and I was really quite fond of her. It's a lousy feeling for sure.

This was the day before she got sick:

View attachment 3877616
RIP lil' Peanut. 😢

I'm so sorry for your loss, Chicky :hugs . Losing the babies is so hard, you just keep thinking of all the chicken things they didn't experience, it's truly heartbreaking. You fought so hard for her, and sometimes there's nothing more than can be done.

If she could survive off of solely love, she would have lived forever❤

Heard a commotion in the coop.
Turns out one of the broody hens decide she wanted all the eggs including the freshly laid egg from our Muscovy duck Blue so they were going at it. It was weird seeing this small Serama hen attacking this big duck.
I took care of it and moved her to our brooder coop to keep her from attacking anyone else.

For such tiny things, they are quite feisty, aren't they:p. I can't count the amount of times Lady Gaga tried to fight both Kolovos, whose spurs are the size of Lady Gaga's whole body, AND his son. Sometimes simultaneously. His hens are equally feisty

I'm so sorry for your loss, Chicky :hugs . Losing the babies is so hard, you just keep thinking of all the chicken things they didn't experience, it's truly heartbreaking. You fought so hard for her, and sometimes there's nothing more than can be done.

If she could survive off of solely love, she would have lived forever❤
Thank you, Fluffy! 🥲❤️‍🩹

Losing a baby chick is ROUGH!

She just died!!!!

I'm utterly distraught. I was sitting with the chicks, Peanut was eating, drinking, walking around - looking so much better than yesterday. Then, all of a sudden, she walked a few steps fell over, flapped her wings and went limp. I picked her up and tried to revive her. She couldn't stand or do anything. Within a few minutes she was gone.

I just can't fathom what happened. My coop cam caught the whole thing and it is just bizarre how she seemed totally fine, and then totally not within seconds. Grief stricken doesn't even begin to describe how I feel.

Perhaps she had a weak heart from the beginning and this coccidiosis and treatment was too much. I'm absolutely flummoxed.
I am so sorry :(

Thank you for the sympathy. I'm exhausted. After last night, and seeing that she seemed so much better this morning, I just can't believe the series of events that unfolded in the last couple days.

Yes, I think you're right that she had some type of weakness from the start (she definitely was one of the smallest) and this illness pushed over the edge. I just feel awful. As I'm only in my 2nd year as a chicken lady, I've only dealt with one other death and that was a hawk and my hen was a year old. Seeing what happened with this baby was heartbreaking in a totally different way.

She was the sweetest little thing. The ONLY one who wasn't afraid of me in the first weeks. She was always the first to jump up on my lap and I was really quite fond of her. It's a lousy feeling for sure.

This was the day before she got sick:

View attachment 3877616
RIP lil' Peanut. 😢
Its difficult to lose them at any age for any reason! :hugs 💔 They really know how to burrow deep into our hearts and when they pass, it shreds our hearts to pieces. I've lost a lot of birds over the years and it does NOT get easier, it cuts just as deep every time. We totally get it @ChickyCh00k :hugs 🥰♥️

Its difficult to lose them at any age for any reason! :hugs 💔 They really know how to burrow deep into our hearts and when they pass, it shreds our hearts to pieces. I've lost a lot of birds over the years and it does NOT get easier, it cuts just as deep every time. We totally get it @ChickyCh00k :hugs 🥰♥️
Absolutely. It's SO hard. It doesn't feel fair sometimes, that they didn't get to live longer. Such short lives, yet managed to bring so much joy

I know you all feel my pain. It's one of the reasons it's comforting to come here (to this thread specifically). I'm so new that most things are still "firsts", and it is beyond helpful to hear from folks who have been through similar experiences (or even just a word of encouragement/empathy/sympathy). I don't know any other chicken people IRL, and you all feel like old friends in a way - I know that no matter what I will find support in this thread. I hope I can return the favor someday. 🥲

Back
Top Bottom