LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

Mammillaria are super easy to fall in love with! They're just so cool, but easy to care for!

I'm sure a few more wouldn't hurt... :p
:lol: I have at least 20 cacti in 4" pots and 6" pots under a 100 watt grow light. It BARELY lights them all. Ive got 15 succulents under 2 40 watt grow lights and a few that fit nowhere that have to sit along the window sill. :p Every day I rotate and move plants around so everybody gets time under a light. But...they are all growing very nicely under artificial light! They all do get 2 or 3 hours of real sunshine every morning. And I just brought my 2 Barrel cacti inside, so no more plants even though I want more!! :barnie 🤣🌵♥️

Wow! You might have more succulents than me!

I guess a pause in succulent buying would be wise, there is always next spring, after all :p

:lol: I have at least 20 cacti in 4" pots and 6" pots under a 100 watt grow light. It BARELY lights them all. Ive got 15 succulents under 2 40 watt grow lights and a few that fit nowhere that have to sit along the window sill. :p Every day I rotate and move plants around so everybody gets time under a light. But...they are all growing very nicely under artificial light! They all do get 2 or 3 hours of real sunshine every morning. And I just brought my 2 Barrel cacti inside, so no more plants even though I want more!! :barnie 🤣🌵♥️

Wow! You might have more succulents than me!

I guess a pause in succulent buying would be wise, there is always next spring, after all :p
I've already got my eye on a few that I just gotta have. But I am going to definitely wait until next spring, by then I'll need the joy of new plants in my life. :p I had a dream last night that someone gave me a box full of cuttings and potted succulents.... 🤔 🤣

I've already got my eye on a few that I just gotta have. But I am going to definitely wait until next spring, by then I'll need the joy of new plants in my life. :p I had a dream last night that someone gave me a box full of cuttings and potted succulents.... 🤔 🤣

Succulent lover through and through🤣!

Which plants are in your succulent wishlist :pop ?

Succulent lover through and through🤣!

Which plants are in your succulent wishlist :pop ?
Yeah, I am TOTALLY addicted to these little guys. 🤗

These are interesting cacti... This nursery Planet Desert is the only place I will order plants from, I've lost several plants I've ordered this year from poorly raised nurseries. This place sells only the healthiest of plants...
Screenshot_20240807-053548.png

Screenshot_20240807-053334.png

This is the species you have?? I love this plant! ♥️
Screenshot_20240807-053421.png

Yeah, I am TOTALLY addicted to these little guys. 🤗

These are interesting cacti... This nursery Planet Desert is the only place I will order plants from, I've lost several plants I've ordered this year from poorly raised nurseries. This place sells only the healthiest of plants...
View attachment 3912284

View attachment 3912285

This is the species you have?? I love this plant! ♥️
View attachment 3912286

Great that you found a good nursery to buy your plants! Now you'll know where to look when wanting to add more to you collection!

Oh those ones are very pretty! I've actually had two cacti out of the three you're looking at. The mammillaria, and indeed, the astrophytum asterias! I really like both of them!

The mammillaria was very easy to care for, as are most mammilaria. This particular one is a bit of a pain when repotting, those spines hurt like heck! The one I had flowered relatively easily as well.

The astrophytum are a tad bit harder to care for, but I find them relatively easy as well. They flower almost constantly, and their flowers are gorgeous, yellow flowers. They don't last very long, though. The ones that have more fuzz generally do better with more sun, but they don't love the sun nearly as much as my lithops. Thankfully astrophytum asterias don't prick you like most other cacti! Which reminds me, I've got an asterias hybrid I need to repot soon...

Great that you found a good nursery to buy your plants! Now you'll know where to look when wanting to add more to you collection!

Oh those ones are very pretty! I've actually had two cacti out of the three you're looking at. The mammillaria, and indeed, the astrophytum asterias! I really like both of them!

The mammillaria was very easy to care for, as are most mammilaria. This particular one is a bit of a pain when repotting, those spines hurt like heck! The one I had flowered relatively easily as well.

The astrophytum are a tad bit harder to care for, but I find them relatively easy as well. They flower almost constantly, and their flowers are gorgeous, yellow flowers. They don't last very long, though. The ones that have more fuzz generally do better with more sun, but they don't love the sun nearly as much as my lithops. Thankfully astrophytum asterias don't prick you like most other cacti! Which reminds me, I've got an asterias hybrid I need to repot soon...
Yes I've learned very quickly, especially with succulents, if they aren't raised properly they die fast. Nurseries are hot, humid and wet, they very easily over water, rot, grow fungus and just not good for cactus. I will only buy from planet desert now!

I just love the astrophytum too, I love the fur. 😍😁 Such a pretty plant! Its definitely high on my list at my next order. Good to know it likes to flower! I've learned this too, some cacti really don't like a lot of sun, many cacti grow in the shadows of other plants in the wild. So I'm definitely learning which like to bask in it and those that like some shade.

Yes I've learned very quickly, especially with succulents, if they aren't raised properly they die fast. Nurseries are hot, humid and wet, they very easily over water, rot, grow fungus and just not good for cactus. I will only buy from planet desert now!

I just love the astrophytum too, I love the fur. 😍😁 Such a pretty plant! Its definitely high on my list at my next order. Good to know it likes to flower! I've learned this too, some cacti really don't like a lot of sun, many cacti grow in the shadows of other plants in the wild. So I'm definitely learning which like to bask in it and those that like some shade.

Exactly! Astrophytum must be one of those that grow in partial shade, under some bigger plants. My astrophytum nudum tend to need more shade than my more fuzzy astrophytum.

Both do OK in full sun, it's just that their colour isn't very attractive; they turn a dark green, almost brown, to survive in full sun. It doesn't hurt them, and it's not sunburning, but it's not very pretty to look at for the keeper

Back
Top Bottom