Little chick- what is he? yellow but wings with white and brown/black

Melzawelza

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 10, 2007
Hey everyone!! I'm new to chicken owning, and unfortunately it wont last
sad.png

We looked after this little bubby because other baby chickens were pecking at his eyes. they're all fixed up now and i am just completely in love with him. I think he is with me too- he snuggles with me all the time and isnt scared of me whatsoever. im not sure how old he is but i dont think it could be more than a week. in the last day he's been running like a mad thing on my keyboard and flapping his little wings.

I adore him but we cant keep him as we dont have an adequate backyard
sad.png

So anyway, since ill never know what he looks like as a big roo, i though i'd ask you guys if you knew what type of chickie he was, so i could look up pics. thanks in advance!!!

p6070157dh7.jpg

p6100175ca8.jpg

p6100176og1.jpg

Last edited:
My original thought was Red or Gold Sex-Link which would make "he" a "she"!
tongue.png
If the chick has faint darker buff stripes on it's back that would clinch it.

Here's a pic of my Gold Sex-Link hen:
Mar-2.jpg

And you know some people do keep chickens indoors.
wink.png
lol.png

Hey Ella!!

first off, thanks so much for your reply!!

I'm very interesting in him maybe being a hen. when he was sold in a bunch of 30 to my mum's after school care centre they were all sold as roo's but after googling the sexing of chicken's ive learnt that that is not always very reliable. what are the chances of them being wrong?

I'm also not sure what you mean by 'buff' stripes. i dont know much about chicken colours or patterns. could you post a pic that shows me what they are? thanks so much.

If he is a hen rather than a roo, there is a lot more hope for me either keeping him or finding a home for him!

theres a few feathers on his back coming through today, and they seem to be darker, but could this just be his overall colour coming through? I might take a picture when they are clearer so you can have a look.

again, thanks for the reply!

edit: i just held him and got a really close look at those new feathers, and they are without a doubt a light brown colour and stripey. if they're through even more tomorrow i'll take a pic

Last edited:
Unfortunately I lost almost all of my chick pics a couple of years ago so I don't have any of 'buff stripes' but I can say that the stripes would be just slightly darker than the rest of his body.

I did find this picture of Ella -the hen in the picture I posted- as a 3-4 week old chick.

Chickies033.jpg

If they are vent sexed by a real pro the accuracy is about 85-90%, but if an amateur did it there is a good chance they were wrong, it takes real skill and experience to do it right.

If in the next few weeks the chick looses it's white-ish feathers and starts growing gold or chestnut red feathers than I was wrong and it is a New Hampshire Red or Rhode Island Red. But still, sexing is not 100%, there's always hope!

Thanks so much ella, you've been very helpful!!

I can definitely say that those back feathers are stripey, and are about the colour of your pretty hen there when she was a chick, so im thinking he's a girl (happy days!!). ill take a pic of them when they're more visible and post them to get your opinion!

I want to say it is a sexlink girl but chicks can be decieving and every line of sexlinks are a bit different. It seems to have RIR in it though, which is what they use to make golden sexlinks.

You don't need a big yard to keep a couple of chickens. some people even have them in the cities! You are going to fall in love and not be able to part with them I just started and i could not part with chickens now ever. they are a blast to have around. Relaxing to watch it is like therapy! erinm

Just a thought. If it is a sex-link chick there would be no need for vent sexing. So less chance to think it was a roo at the hatchery. But there is a chance he\\she got mixed up at the hatchery. I would lean more toward RIR or NHR. Still could easily be a hen. Would be great if it was a sex-link as they are my favs and very friendly and calm. They also lay the biggest brown eggs you ever saw.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom