Little Coop In The Big Woods

Awesome job! That's a really nice coop.

Your pop up door looks exactly like what I put in my coop, except mine is not painted.

You roosts looks like what I built, too. One suggestion that I read on here that I intend to incorporate into my coop is to atttach the top of the roost to the wall with a hinge. That way when you clean the coop you can just swing the roost up and hook it up to the ceiling for ease of cleaning underneath. I've already banged my head on mine a number of times, so it sounds like a great idea to me.

Congratulations on a beautiful coop!

Congratulations on finishing it up! And on your upcoming chicks! The coop turned out great and the variety of birds is cool, too.
thumbsup.gif

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Oh, I have a Blue Andalusian hen, Coral, she is such a sweety! She lays me medium sized white eggs and is so curious. My Buff Orpingtons are quiet, gentle, and have a super sweet temperment.

The Blue Andalusian and the Partridge Rock were last minute choices when I decided a couple more wouldn't matter much. I'm looking forward to seeing exactly what color the Andalusian is. I've never seen an actual one in the feathers so to speak. The photos I've seen are anything from grey to an almost actual blue. The Orpington was an early choice. I've heard nothing but good stuff about them. Was thinking about getting a more than one but I really wanted the diversity.​

Quote:
I went for the pulley on the door so I could open it through the dutch door from the storeroom without having to go into the coop. Mornings I'm often running late and anything to make it faster!
smile.png

I have the roosts attached with eye hooks so I can unhook them and move them around. I considered the hinges but this seem to do the trick..and if not I can always hinge it later. The thing I really wanted was the door opening directly under the roosts. Outside it's just wheelbarrow height so I can open it and rake out shavings and poo directly into the wheelbarrow. I'm going to try deep litter but I grew up with chickens and I know what it's like under a roost!
big_smile.png

Quote:
The Blue Andalusian and the Partridge Rock were last minute choices when I decided a couple more wouldn't matter much. I'm looking forward to seeing exactly what color the Andalusian is. I've never seen an actual one in the feathers so to speak. The photos I've seen are anything from grey to an almost actual blue. The Orpington was an early choice. I've heard nothing but good stuff about them. Was thinking about getting a more than one but I really wanted the diversity.

My 'gal has dark blue feathers.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

My 'gal has dark blue feathers.

That's what I'm hoping for too. Going to be interesting to see what hatches from a cross between her and Ameraucana roo. Guessing that the blue color is recessive so it would be the black or splash that would show up...along with whatever comes from whatever color he turns out to be.

Bill​

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping for too. Going to be interesting to see what hatches from a cross between her and Ameraucana roo. Guessing that the blue color is recessive so it would be the black or splash that would show up...along with whatever comes from whatever color he turns out to be.

Bill

Oh, this is going to be so interesting to see what the off-spring looks like!
pop.gif
big_smile.png

Quote:
I'm just outside Knoxville in Seymour---where all the storms are hitting this evening! Would be just my luck to have a tree fall on the coop now that it's done!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom