Lonely Drake can't find hens

alineberry

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 17, 2014
North Carolina
Hello,
I had 3 muscovy ducks and lost them recently. My heart was broken and a friend thought bringing me a drake was a way to cheer me up. I love him however he is alone. I have been searching for over a week on every platform I know of and cannot find any adult runner hens. What should I do so he does not get depressed? I spend time outside with him and he likes when I sing to him however I know he needs friends. If I get chickens will they be able to get along or is that only if they grow up together? Thank you for any help and guidance.

Give you boy a mirror while he is alone. As per @sourland, any mallard derived duck or drake will make friends. I advise on obtaining 3 if you get females as one female would be over-mated

I have a rescued pekin drake in a flock of muscovy drakes. He gets on ok with them [he's a strong personality and although I thought he would be picked on by the bigger muscovy drakes, he has actually been bullying a muscovy that is twice his weight.] Despite his muscovy friends, he likes to go and talk to his reflection in a glass tank that is near the duck house when he is not terrorizing the non-aggressive muscovy

I was definitely worried about a mirror for him since some drakes can be aggressive but I will do it now. I had thought about that and I've been pretty much searching for any duck adults and no one has any at the moment but I will keep looking and in the meantime put the mirror out there
Thank you both!

Back
Top Bottom