Long Time, No Time, but I'm back now!

IMG_6573.gif

Hello Theo, welcone back to BYC!

Great intro and photo of your ‘queen’.

Hope to see you around the forums with so much experience and knowlegde!

Hello Theo, and welcome back to BYC! :frow Terrific intro! I hate to ask, but what became of all the cockerels from this Palace?
We ordered sexed pullets from hatcheries, so for the most part we didn't have to deal with cockerels a whole lot! Can't speak specifically to what the hatcheries did with THEIR excess cockerels, but I imagine it was the industry standard type of thing. The cockerels we did end up with ("oopsters" we called them) we'd hang onto and try to rehome as long as possible. If they ended up having bad personalities or we absolutely couldn't rehome them, they would go to a local guy who either sent them to freezer camp himself or sold them at a local auction which also mostly served "food" buyers.

My business now works similarly except cockerels I can't rehome I always just send to freezer camp myself if absolutely necessary. But I'm willing to hang onto most of them until 18-20 weeks of age (provided they don't become aggressive) so the majority do find a new place to be before that time comes.

Hi y'all.

Some of you may remember me from back in 2015-2017 when I was a daily (aand very active) poster on this site. I was young at the time, still a teenager, and I unfortunately ran out of time for the site around the time I moved out and started my own life (as one does).

I'm 24 now and happy to say that after a years-long sabbatical from the chicken community, I'm back in it - in a big way. I just relaunched my company (I specialize in raising juvenile pullets for the backyard market) and I'm thrilled to be immersed again in a hobby and community I've loved and missed for so long! I don't think I'll ever have as much time as I used to for posting on here (maybe when I'm retired, check back in forty years...), but I'm really looking forward to helping people and advising them about the art of raising chickens just like I used to, when I'm able.

About me: My name is Theo. I was born, raised, and still live in the foothills of Northern California. I've been raising chickens since I was 5. I was a "picky eater" and eggs being one of the few foods I liked, my parents got chickens - having no idea that would be the catalyst event for how most of the rest of my life would go! I was obsessed with them from day one. I got my first incubator at age 11, and at 14 I started volunteering and later working part time, then full time, then as the assistant manager at a little place called The Poultry Palace in Placerville, California. I helped raise tens of thousands of pullets for sale while I worked there and maintained a personal flock which numbered almost 400 at the height of all my breeding projects.

I left that job in 2018 to pursue a variety of interests which included working in food service, political canvassing, and later a job at the postal service. I'm now a dedicated straight-A community college student working towards my associates degree in Entrepreneurship, and a proud (stressed, exhausted, etc. haha) small business owner. I'm happily taken; I now belong to a wonderful, open-minded church; and in my free time (what little of it I have), I try to get outdoors hiking, swimming, fishing, and all that good stuff. If I can't get outside, reading, writing, podcasts, and NPR fill up my time.

I look forward to getting to know (or getting reacquainted with) each and every one of you!

Best regards,
QueenMisha / Theo Alex Dean
Welcome back. Thank you for the great re-introduction.

Back
Top Bottom