Look at what the cat dragged in...new pix on pgs 4, 5, 6

Quote:
i second that !
smile.png

i third it

I think Ferris has a very strong maternal instinct! Maybe he should have his own baby kitten to raise lol! It is good you are doing it the right way! Our local nature center no longer takes in baby animals. They always stressed that in the spring people often saw a baby animal alone and assumed the mother adbandon it or died. They used to give courses on how to rehab willd animals. Now you have to find a wildlife rehabber. Most wild animals cannot be rehabed by a a non liscensed person. You seemed to be doing the right thing. Our nature center used to try and raise them with as little a human contact as possible so they wouldn't become a nuisance or associate humans as a food source. Not all humans are as tolerant to friendly and invasive wild animals. I used to raise starlings every spring that fell down my chimney when they got big. I finally after several years got sick of that and had a cap put on my chimney. I first called the nature center and they told me what I could feed them and since starlings are a non native bird that it was ok to raise them, even though they are considered a trash bird!

I learned a lot about them and birds in general with those starlings. I was lucky they were feathered when they fell down!. The first one was almost as tame as a parakeet! He would come to me (fly) and perch on my hand and I could walk around with him on my shoulder like a parrot. I finally got wise and in the future I bought a parakeet cage and kept them in that since we all know how much a mess a bird can make!

I first made a gruel out of kitten chow and put it in a eye dropper and fed them like that. I learned you should not force water down a baby bird. I guess they got plenty of moisture through the watered down kitten chow. When they got a little older and believe me baby birds grow fast! I tried to wean them from the eyedropper where they could eat the kitten chow gruel on their own. Believe me weaning a baby bird is tough. They will scream and holler for that eyedropper! I had to be very patient and not give in! When they finally ate on their own and I could see they could fly I would put the cage-I made sure it was secure outside so they could get used to the outdoors. The last stage I would go to the pet store and buy crickets and they ate those. I would choose a day where it wasn't stormy to release them. Some of my baby startlings survived, even though I had one that got killed by a crow after I released him. I raised 4 at one time and that was fun.

Sadly, Dewey (the 1st boy brought in) passed quietly away in the sleep this morning. He stopped wanting to drink his milk yesterday and became very lethargic. Instead, I kept him hydrated with Pedialite...but he just couldn't maintain. His littermates curled around him as if to aid in his comfort...they even searched for him after we removed him from the cage.
hit.gif

But on a lighter note, the other two are getting stronger, eating well, and starting to be more active during the day. Lucy even calls for her dinner when she's ready.
smile.png

Quote:
Tree rats! Yea, they're pesty here, but they can be so funny to watch, provided they aren't emptying your birdfeeder, or burrowing into your house somewhere, chewing electrical wires and dying in the ceiling (eeeeeew!). No need to ask how I know
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom