Sponsored Post Looking for a way to get fresh water to your chickens?

I'm thinking of where best to locate the fountain. It seems like inside the (walk-in) coop would be best for keeping it cooler in summer and from freezing in winter. I am liking the idea of the ABILITY to hook the fountain up to a hose in the non-freezing months for when I want/need to leave town for a couple days. But I do NOT want to mess with insulating the hose for winter. I plan to have my garden spigot right on the edge between the chickcoop/garden border, so I can easily run a short hose through the coop wall that can be connected as needed to the fountain (or whatever waterer I end up using) on the inside of the coop, and which dangles from the outside of the coop wall (thus draining automatically when disconnected). This could be hooked up outside at the spigot whenever we needed to refill the fountain resevoir. So my question then would be how long will that 1.5 gallon of water last in the winter if it's coming from a fountain, as opposed to from a traditional waterer? Would it be possible to enlarge the resevoir so that someone who didn't want to use the hose continually but only to refill it could put in more water to last longer? Also, I wonder if I put the waterer inside the coop, then when the chicken door is open to the run during the day, won't that allow the inside of the coop to get as cold (or as hot) as the outside temp, and thus, returning to the freezing/hot water problem?
I don't know if this is making sense, or if I'm rambling incoherently from one thought to the next--I tend to do that more as the night wears on.

Is it easy to clean? What about the algae or other stuff, that most probably know of, that can grow on the inside of waterers that you need to scrub? Would there be none because there is no light getting into the container?

Is it easy to clean? What about the algae or other stuff, that most probably know of, that can grow on the inside of waterers that you need to scrub? Would there be none because there is no light getting into the container?

I haven't had any algae inside mine. I think because it's a closed system and the birds aren't making it dirty by drinking from it like a regular waterer.

That has always been the problem with nipple waters in the winter. The dripper itself holds a small amount of water and even if the water inside the unit is warm the little bit of water in the dripper freezes. We are working on a solution to this. We have a process to keep the drippers flowing on our units. The problem so far is I can only keep half flowing. I'm working on a new approach that I think solves it. Hopefully I'll know for sure in a few days....

Yes our system seldomly, if ever needs cleaning. I've had mine going for almost three years and have never cleand it, it just does not need it. The birds can not get to the water and contaminate it and we turn the water often. When water sits around it grows stale and algae begins to set in.. This is not the case with our units.

I'm thinking of where best to locate the fountain. It seems like inside the (walk-in) coop would be best for keeping it cooler in summer and from freezing in winter. I am liking the idea of the ABILITY to hook the fountain up to a hose in the non-freezing months for when I want/need to leave town for a couple days. But I do NOT want to mess with insulating the hose for winter.

I plan to have my garden spigot right on the edge between the chick coop/garden border, so I can easily run a short hose through the coop wall that can be connected as needed to the fountain (or whatever waterer I end up using) on the inside of the coop, and which dangles from the outside of the coop wall (thus draining automatically when disconnected). This could be hooked up outside at the spigot whenever we needed to refill the fountain resevoir.

So my question then would be how long will that 1.5 gallon of water last in the winter if it's coming from a fountain, as opposed to from a traditional waterer?

Also, I wonder if I put the waterer inside the coop, then when the chicken door is open to the run during the day, won't that allow the inside of the coop to get as cold (or as hot) as the outside temp, and thus, returning to the freezing/hot water problem?

I would choose inside if for no other reason that the chickens can come in to drink if they are in the run but if they are locked in the coop, they can't get to an outside fountain. Your idea to run a short hose (use the one that comes with the fountain if you buy that) through the coop wall is fine. Get a quick connect for the hose ends so you don't have to screw and unscrew it every time. However, if you disconnect it when not in use, is the plan to cap it off so you can still fill the fountain from the top inside the coop? Get a second quick connect and attach the "source" end to the cap.

Sounds like you are planning to heat the coop. There are threads discussing the need - or NOT - to do this.

How long the 1.5 gallons will last depends on how many birds you have and what size they are - how much they drink a day which will change between cold and hot weather. I imagine it will last longer than 1.5 gallons in a traditional waterer since it won't evaporate and the birds won't make a mess in it.

Where do you live? You can't put a standard spigot in any unheated area if it gets below freezing. You really don't want to crack a faucet. The pipe needs to be below frost level (generally 4' here in VT) and you need a frost free valve. The valve shuts off below frost level and when you shut the water off, the water in the riser pipe drains back down and out into a gravel bed. I have one in the barn that looks like this.

Bruce

This looks really good. As soon as Frank can post about the revised heater I'll be getting one for my girls this winter.

This looks really good. As soon as Frank can post about the revised heater I'll be getting one for my girls this winter.
I'm trying hard but I'm committed to not releasing anything until I'm certain that not only will water keep from freezing inside the system but the drippers will not freeze. The drippers are the biggest issue right now although many customers have reported that wrapping the heat tape up against the drippers keeps them flowing in freezing conditions. We have actually tested the heat tape down to 4F and it worked well...As soon I have this issue solved I can assure you we will get it out on our website...Wish me luck!

We have actually tested the heat tape down to 4F and it worked well...

But how do you keep the chickens from pecking at the heat tape? My girls peck ANYTHING that looks to be "out of place" including freckles. They pecked the duct tape that held the plastic lining their bathtub brooder. They pecked the blue foam board insulation on the nest box while I was preparing to install it.

To quote a famous king: "etcetera, etcetera, etcetera "

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom