Looking for Advice: would you move the coop/run?

Do you have poop boards? Can you dispose of the leavings differently? Maybe throw them in the trash? Maybe clean out the coop once every two weeks as well as dispose of the leavings differently.
I JUST heard about poop boards. Need to look into it more and see how they're made, etc

I'd move it. Good relationships with neighbors are worth quite a lot of inconvenience.

Can you or any of your kids smell more odor after you clean out the coop than before you clean it out? Like, from the lane between the coop and Grandma-neighbor's house? I'd move the coop and run either way (unless you make a lot of difference quickly by changing things like the others suggest) but it could help with how much else you may be able to do. It is one thing if she has a super sniffer (some people really do) and another if your set up is smellier than most.

Honestly, just raked everything out of the coop straight into the run because it was easy and the hens turn it over into compost pretty quickly.
Oh I get it, but then the poop is right next to her, and it probably take at least a few hours before they turn everything, and THAT'S in my opinion at least, probably also the time she smells it.

I'd move it. Good relationships with neighbors are worth quite a lot of inconvenience.

Can you or any of your kids smell more odor after you clean out the coop than before you clean it out? Like, from the lane between the coop and Grandma-neighbor's house? I'd move the coop and run either way (unless you make a lot of difference quickly by changing things like the others suggest) but it could help with how much else you may be able to do. It is one thing if she has a super sniffer (some people really do) and another if your set up is smellier than most.
I can smell it by our driveway, which is in front of the coop. But not when I walk to her side. But I don't doubt she can still smell it as the breeze blows sound and smell to her house.
Even our dogs barking is different in her house. With us, it's just a normal barking sound but in her house it echoes.
I'll be getting some fencing this week and start the process. If anything, it'll be a goat run. Or maybe I can rotate chickens and goats throughout the year...

Back
Top Bottom